How big a screwing will I take --

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

How big a screwing will I take --

Postby terocav » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:44 am

does any one have a ballpark figure how bad of a maintenance payment would be off approx. 90k in Kentucky-- she doesn't work never has never even finished high school -- I will get the kids -- and she is bipolar -- I get NJ would be correct and an understatement -- oh and been together 11 years
terocav
10+ Posts

Re: How big a screwing will I take --

Postby kirkpatrick » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:46 am

Half of all assets. However, ıf she gets the kids then allimony and CS would be in addition.
kirkpatrick
100+ Posts

Postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:19 pm

kirkpatrick wrote:Half of all assets. However, ıf she gets the kids then allimony and CS would be in addition.

The above is true. Additionally however, your half of marital assets will be used to pay court expenses and community debt.

Translation = When all is said and done, your combined income + assets will be equal to or less than zero.

Clairification = A dollar figure significantly "Less than zero" will be the most likely outcome.

Tom
"When you stay ready, you won’t hafta get ready." Russell Wilson, Seahawks QB

"I'm a great housekeeper. When I get divorced, I always keep the house." Zsa Zsa Gabor
Tom Kirkpatrick
1K+ Posts

Postby hanzblinx » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:27 pm

how bad of a maintenance payment

I dont think anybody answered your question. Each state is different, I can only tell you my case. In Colorado married 12 years to SAHM (no job no education). I was making 100k (plus 15K side income).

Temp orders were for $1000 alimony and $1200 CS. I negotiated down to $800 alimony for 18 months and settled out of court. She didnt need any money anyway, her parents are wealthy and they took her in. She didn't get to collect all the alimony because she was remarried (and heavily pregnant) within a few months after divorce.
hanzblinx
100+ Posts

Postby ozweepay » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:25 am

terocav wrote:does any one have a ballpark figure how bad of a maintenance payment would be off approx. 90k in Kentucky-- she doesn't work never has never even finished high school -- I will get the kids -- and she is bipolar -- I get NJ would be correct and an understatement -- oh and been together 11 years

I'm also from Colorado. First, I would say it heavily depends on which judge you get if you play the divorce-court lotto. But here in Colorado you would be in deep trouble: if her illness is bad enough that she cannot work (or if she claims she cannot work and can convince a vocational evaluator) then she could reasonably request lifetime maintenance. Your getting the kids only adds to the perception that she is very ill. If you had been married 20+ it's almost for sure that she'd get permanent in most courts around here.

Sorry.
Because, you know... equality.
ozweepay
500+ Posts

Postby loudad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 am

I live in Ky and going thru the process. Take the differance between your and your spouses income ( Gross) and devide by 2 and that will be the maintenance payment. It will be for 1/3 of the duration of the marrage. You will also be required to pay cs if she gets the kid (s ).
loudad
New

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum