Free Credit Reports

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: Free Credit Reports

Unread postby BaltimoreDad » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:13 pm

TeflonDad wrote:Also, having a Discover card provides you with your FICO credit score every month to alert you if it changes unexpectedly.

In addition to Discover card, a number of other credit card companies offer free credit score and tracking. Capital One and the Upromise card both update show me my credit score.
BaltimoreDad
New

Unread postby danno » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:59 pm

One more thing I'd add to the mix. If you're a semi-unfortunate ex govt contractor/employee like me and your name was on the big OPM data breach list, then you also get to sign up for free credit monitoring. It was eye opening to see all the accounts I've opened and closed over the years. And also interesting to note some of the erroneous data some of them had. Good stuff to know (and get them to correct).
danno
10+ Posts

Unread postby NEdad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Phoenix853 wrote:
Fatheroffour wrote:My mortgage broker laughed at the Vantage 3.0 score. Said to forget about it.

Reading the CK forums, most seemed to complain that the new scoring system showed their score as significantly less that their true FICO score. My CK Vantage score was about 35 points higher than FICO.

There is no correlation between the scores.

That's whats so messed up. Now you have to shop loans by the way they score or run the risk o f paying a higher % or losing all together. Hate Credit scores.

Credit is one of my hobbies so I throughly monitor my reports and am always watching my scores. CK is usually on the money when it comes to Equifax (EQ) and TransUnion (TU) reports.

There are a number of ways to receive free real FICO scores. The Walmart credit card provides free TU scores around the 10th of each month. Discover now provides Experian (EX) scores to people that don't have their credit card (https://creditscorecard.com). Barclay provides TU scores to their cardholders every 2 months. A lot of banks provide scores. For example, Digital Credit Union (DCU - great bank to work with) provides EQ scores on the last Friday of each month. This is the EQ04 version. 08 is the newest version but some lenders like them use the 04. If you want to pay for your report and also receive your score, myFICO (https://www.myfico.com) is a good place to do that. That website has a very good forum that is a treasure trove of knowledge. There are a lot of very helpful people there and topics cover most things that are credit related. I've learned a lot there over the years.
NEdad
50+ Posts

Unread postby AllForTheKids » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:26 am

I work in consumer lending. Recent news relevant to this thread:

"CFPB Orders Transunion and Equifax to Pay for Deceiving Consumers in Marketing Credit Scores and CreditProducts."

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us ... -products/

Personal loan sites like lendingtree.com, creditkarma.com, creditsesame.com, nerdwallet.com, mint.com pass your info to many lenders so you have a better chance of finding one who will underwrite you even if your FICO isn't great. Some lenders are starting to look at data like rent and utility payments to underwrite consumers who have thin credit files.

Also, the government-mandated site for free credit reports is http://www.AnnualCreditReport.com. Or you can get the credit karma app and have your TU and EQ credit reports updated weekly on your phone. :)
AllForTheKids
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:52 am

I have actually lost track of how many free trackers and free identity theft services on top of my Lifelock. I think I am privy to being involved in no less than meh 5-10 breaches where I was notified. Luckily still no bad ju ju other than the first Ex trying some crap with my credit years ago.

And for those of you still using your debit card everywhere; DONT!
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Data » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:08 pm

As far as a debit card I don't trust them. I have never owned one. My ATM cards are ATM cards only. Having an ATM card only also helps one curb spending a little. If you want something, there is an extra step to obtaining it and if you don't charge much like I don't, your extra step is you have to stop at an ATM to get the cash first. Debit cards are not safe at all....only a convenience for the lazy society that we've become.
Data
50+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:59 am

Nonsense. Maybe it's for people who can control themselves and don't need an extra step to curb their impulsive spending. Tell yourself anything you like; doesn't make it a fact for everyone else.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:14 am

I use credit karma, credit sesame and wallet hub. I get my FICO from Citi. I also pull my full reports once a year. I watch my credit and accounts like a hawk. My ex did some serious damage so now I'm on the war path to rebuild.

Of them all I like credit karma best. The actual scores are on average 70 points lower than what they actually are. I primarily use them to monitor everything else, it's like a dashboard of what you got going on financially. That in itself is extremely valuable.
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:50 am

Not a credit expert but it's simple physics when it comes to your credit card company, bank or credit union attempting to regain your money obtained fraudulently back from whomever got it from your bank account via a debit card (or swiped number) versus simply reversing credit charges on a card.

I try not to use the debit card and when at a gas station or convenience store ATM only use credit card.

USAA is VERY good at reversing fraudulent charges and will literally go burn down the opposing partys house to get your money in an accident claim on the insurance side of the house.

I know a few companies have lower premium rates too but if you have any former military in your family (parents grandparents spouses etc) it's worth the time to check if you are elgible to get their services.

It's pretty common sense that with the debit card your whole bank account tied to that card could be emptied out fraudulently whereas credit is a different story and can be reversed much easier than dollars reclaimed. Just saying. ..
Last edited by Havalu7 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:51 am

CK scores are both higher and lower. It's not harmonious with FICO or Vantage 3.0 because its a completely different independent credit score.

Currently, my CK score is higher than my FICO but its been both higher and lower in the past.
Fatheroffour

PreviousNext

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum