Separation date - Texas

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Separation date - Texas

Postby singledad111 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 am

In Texas, what is the date used to devide the assets. For example, if you separated a year ago, which date is used to determine the assets value - the saparation date or the current date?
singledad111
100+ Posts

Re: Separation date - Texas

Postby whatnow? » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Ok, here goes. In Texas, there is no legal separation. You are married until you are not married, so sayeth the judge. Now, if you have Temporary Orders from the court, those are what you go by until you have the final decree. Even then, there is no "separation" per se, just temporary court orders on how to conduct yourself, who lives in the marital home, etc., until the final decree. Does it suck? Yep. But hold on, things do get better after a while.

Peace
When your ex says .. you will never find anyone like me .. and you reply .. God I sure hope not...
whatnow?
1K+ Posts

Re: Separation date - Texas

Postby Thoughts? » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:33 am

+1 to whatnow said.

You need to make sure there are spending restrictions in the temp orders for expenditures to only be allowed for usual & ordinary expenses, and you can seek to value of a certain date if you can produce evidence that shows she went out and, say, bought a new Merc or something. That's generally the mechanism / remedy.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum