Custody Agreement Modification

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Custody Agreement Modification

Unread postby christianwos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Hello everybody,

This is my first visit to the site and I have a question about a custody agreement modification.

My ex wife and I share legal custody of our six-year-old son. She has sole physical custody. I live in Pittsburgh and they live in Ohio, about an hour away. When we separated we got to an agreement according to which she can move pretty much anywhere in Europe with our son. This was done since we all have dual citizenship. Now she has received a job offer from Japan and wants to modify the agreement so that she can move there with him. I clearly do not want to modify the agreement, as the relocation would completely alienate me from my son's life. Hence, I foresee this going to court. Does anyone have any experience on whether it would be easy for her to take my son away from me? I have been spending weekends with him regularly, and even though I was not required by the custody agreement, I have been giving her child support and paid for her health insurance.

Thank you in advance.
First Post
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Custody Agreement Modification

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Sir, you must immediately hire an attorney.

That you have consented to something before does not require you to consent now. An attorney can unravel this mess of countries and where the child will be schooled.

The obvious problem is your living at a distance from your child - why is that?
Volenti non fit injuria
User avatar
20K Club
Posts: 27093
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Custody Agreement Modification

Unread postby dad2grls » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:35 pm

You're asking if it's the opinion of the various posters here, if your exwife has a good chance to move out of the country and take your child with her?

In my opinion, probably not- but if she can make a compelling case to the court, and make it appear that she must move for important job related reasons, and she has no other option, while downplaying your role in your child's life- a court just might consider giving her the go ahead.

Even though the odds are probably in your favor, this sort of thing can be very unpredictable and you don't want to get the shock out of your life if you walk into the courtroom unprepared and the court finds in her favor.

You need an experienced attorney, preferrably one who contributed to the judge's campaign and golfs with him or her on Sundays. Even if it costs you a lot of money. There's some things money can't buy, and every dime you spend protecting your relationship with your son is worth it.
100+ Posts
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], HaltAndCatchFire and 5 guests