Out of State Parenting/< parenting time >

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Re: Out of State Parenting/< parenting time >

Unread postby lieu910 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Trevor wrote:OP, you aren't special or unique. One of the benefits of this board is a thing called consilience. We may not know the names and body weights of the players in your drama, but we sure as < edited > know what we're talking about.

You want to parent from across the country? Go ahead, son. See what happens to your relationship with your son who, despite you being a couple blocks away, has seen your relationship diminish. It doesn't take someone who knows your name to understand clearly where this is headed.

Pls let us know whether we should continue to bother; your defensiveness is preventing our effectiveness, which has proven itself over the years and in thousands of cases.

I'm more than a little skeptical of anyone who thinks they have all the information they need to pass judgement from 30,000 feet.

I'm 51 years old, and when someone comes to me with a tough issue, I don't whack them on the forehead with a shovel and tell them I have all the answers because I don't need to know their body weight to know what's right.

So my answer to you specifically and with all due respect is - please don't bother.
lieu910
10+ Posts

Re: Out of State Parenting/< parenting time >

Unread postby a dad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm

If you do this, rather than long weekends, I suggest looking at getting the majority of summer vacation, Thanksgiving week, Christmas, and spring breaks.

However, at 14 (& 18), it may get tough to get them away from their friends. And you wouldn't be there to help.

If your daughter is going away to college, she may prefer to go back to Chicago during those breaks, which means not only would you not see her much, but neither would her brother if he were in California with you at those times. Moving away can get complicated.

You could also try to get them to go to college in San Diego.
a dad

Previous

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum