Truancy

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Truancy

Unread postby OrigamiDragon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 am

Indiana S5. Joint legal custody.

Son is not in Kindergarten today without explaination . According to my Order I pick him up next from school this Wednesday. Any advice on how to handle this, especially should it continue through then?
OrigamiDragon
100+ Posts

Re: Truancy

Unread postby Trevor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:35 am

Show up to pick him up from school on Wednesday. If the child doesn't appear, try to contact the mother. Meantime, speak to the front office/principal about why the child isn't there (hat in hand, you're a concerned Dad, not someone expecting the school to beat up the mother on your behalf). Maybe the child is unwell. Document the conversation, and that you were indeed at the school on time to pick up your child.

Next, depending on the answers you get, might be arranging to pick up the child. Do not be dissuaded if the child is sick - you are capable of handling a sick child. This part may involve contacting the police for a civil standby if you get the sense that the mother will refuse your parenting time.

For now, it's not your parenting time. Why not ask the mother (email) inquiring as to the child's well-being? BTW, do you call the school every day to make sure your son is in attendance?
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby grandet2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 am

You attitude should be one of concern for child and how can I help
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandet2
100+ Posts

Unread postby OrigamiDragon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:53 am

School called me. Mother is doing lots of things that are not even considering his best interests.

Not sure what I can do for my son when mother is hurting him.
OrigamiDragon
100+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:55 am

What does the mother say in response to this? Have you reached out to her about it?
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby OrigamiDragon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:06 am

Trevor wrote:What does the mother say in response to this? Have you reached out to her about it?

Edit: finally got a response: she is moving and will enroll him at a different school afterwards. Nothing filed that would make that okay.
OrigamiDragon
100+ Posts

Unread postby nr552 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:25 pm

"Joint legal custody"

Hmm.. that means you have 50% say in school/district in my book. I'd be all over this...
nr552
500+ Posts

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum