Child support - general questions

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Re: Child support - general questions

Unread postby nr552 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am

shawnk79 wrote:Hi,

I live in Texas and I've been divorced for over 3 years now and my child is the same age (no school yet). I have my CS setup through my employer and it gets deducted every paycheck. I am looking for a new job and if i find one i am expecting a increase of minimum $7000/yr. Once i get a new job i am planning to not have wage garnishments instead setup ACH from my bank account.
My question is if my ex who is married decides to apply for CS mod is it as simple as making a call to Texas CS office and ask them to provide a Hearing officer or will she have to hire an attorney?

CS modification is all on her, and she can make that request (on her dime) with or without an attorney.

If your current wage garnishment is through the state agency (then subsequently paid to your ex), you should be able to provide to the state agency your new employer's info to have them transfer the wage assignment (you're ex would not know about it, as the $$ would still come to her in the same fashion). You might also be able to self-pay into your CS "account" via their website. You can do it in CA.*

* When I changed jobs, my wage assignment did not follow to my new employer. SO, I attempted to pay into my "account" via CA DCSS (dept of child support services). I made 2 payments (biweekly), none of which went to my ex. She flipped out, I contacted DCSS, and apparently since we entered into a "stipulated agreement" the only way I could pay into the account was via my wage assignment, and not direct pay (they took 4 weeks to return my payments by check). SO, check with your state agency BEFORE you do anything on your own re: payment, if you go that route.

I wouldn't say beans about $$$$ to her for a job change. I wouldn't even bring it up. Let her beat the bushes to request more CS from you.
nr552
500+ Posts

Unread postby rclv83 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 pm

massdad1234 wrote:so you think if you pay her directly she won't get wind of your increase in pay? Either pay now or pay later, but you are always on the hook to support your kids. Why wouldn't she be able to seek a modification regardless of her marital situation?

If you lost your job, would you not seek to lower your CS based on current income?

this board has become an absolute joke. Now we are bypassing the undeniable fact that CS is little more than legalized extortion and we're throwing out jabs like "you are always on the hook to support your kids"???

WOW.

The man wasn't trying to dodge an obligation to support his kids, yet now our touchy-feely overlords are reading minds and passing judgement on the situation.

jesus - get a grip and act like a MAN, please.
rclv83
50+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:49 pm

dadforever wrote:from the States perspective, financially supporting ones child is the sole responsibility of the payer (read: the man). The State doesn't care whatsoever if the woman financially supports the children.

Nonsense. The payee still has to have a place where the kids live on his/her time, food in the pantry, heating in winter and cooling in summer, school clothes, transportation for the child, and more.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby massdad1234 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:58 pm

This says volumes about you
rclv83 wrote:bypassing the undeniable fact that CS is little more than legalized extortion

says the 'grown' man whining like a baby then lamenting the quality of the board.
rclv83 wrote:act like a MAN, please.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:26 pm

A board in which the sniper has contributed little in the (nearly) year he's been enjoying the proverbial candy dish.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby dad2grls » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:58 pm

rclv83 wrote:WOW.

The man wasn't trying to dodge an obligation to support his kids, yet now our touchy-feely overlords are reading minds and passing judgement on the situation.

I wouldn't take the useless posts of massdad1234 as any sort of indication as to the overall tone and helpfulness of this forum.
dad2grls
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Yeah, the projecting two cry babies being passive aggressive are a much better barometer.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 am

If you have standard possession (TX term), then CS is based solely on the NCP's income. If you make more, you pay more, but not until there is a court order.

Don't change your method of payment. Don't raise any flags. Don't tell your ex you make more money. Radio silence will save you thousands.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:15 pm

no, I don't see additional expenses incurred to you in support of the children not on your time as grounds for reduction in expenses.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby dadforever » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Trevor wrote:
dadforever wrote:from the States perspective, financially supporting ones child is the sole responsibility of the payer (read: the man). The State doesn't care whatsoever if the woman financially supports the children.

Nonsense. The payee still has to have a place where the kids live on his/her time, food in the pantry, heating in winter and cooling in summer, school clothes, transportation for the child, and more.

So what? What does that prove? That she can take Dads money and buy these things?

What is Dads remedy when Mom the custodial parent refuses to work? There is your answer as to how much the State cares about Moms financial responsibility.
dadforever
100+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum