Child support - general questions

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Child support - general questions

Unread postby shawnk79 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi,

I live in Texas and I've been divorced for over 3 years now and my child is the same age (no school yet). I have my CS setup through my employer and it gets deducted every paycheck. I am looking for a new job and if i find one i am expecting a increase of minimum $7000/yr. Once i get a new job i am planning to not have wage garnishments instead setup ACH from my bank account.
My question is if my ex who is married decides to apply for CS mod is it as simple as making a call to Texas CS office and ask them to provide a Hearing officer or will she have to hire an attorney?
shawnk79
New

Re: Child support - general questions

Unread postby massdad1234 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 pm

so you think if you pay her directly she won't get wind of your increase in pay? Either pay now or pay later, but you are always on the hook to support your kids. Why wouldn't she be able to seek a modification regardless of her marital situation?

If you lost your job, would you not seek to lower your CS based on current income?
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:56 pm

She won't need an attorney.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby shawnk79 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:05 pm

That was not my question.
I am just trying to understand how will the process works and wouldn't she have to justify why the current CS is not enough to cover expenses especially since my daughter hasn't even started school or day care.
Even with 5K - 7K the increment in CS would only come out to a $100 - $200/month. So that's what i want to know is if she would go through the head ache of paying thousands of dollars in attorney fees just for a few hundred dollars every month??
shawnk79
New

Unread postby shawnk79 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Chaos wrote:She won't need an attorney.

Thanks!!
shawnk79
New

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:57 pm

shawnk79 wrote:.....if my ex.....decides to apply for CS mod is it as simple as making a call to Texas CS office.....??
Yep. One call does it all.
But until she makes that call, your CS obligation remains unchanged.

shawnk79 wrote:.....if my ex who is married.....
Texas is not an "income shares state." Your ex could be a millionaire and it wouldn't matter. In Texas, CS calculation is based upon your income only.

Tom
Like football, family court is a game of inches. A John Madden strategy
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby dad2grls » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:11 pm

massdad1234 wrote:so you think if you pay her directly she won't get wind of your increase in pay? Either pay now or pay later, but you are always on the hook to support your kids.

If you lost your job, would you not seek to lower your CS based on current income?

This is rather argumentative and certainly not helpful in the least. Some people forget that we are here to offer helpful advice not make moral judgements.

If I was this guy then yeah, I'd rather pay later rather than pay now, or better yet pay nothing at all, and if I was paying child support to a miserable вitch of an exwife who kept most of it for herself and I got an increase in pay and I could figure a way to pay her less that's exactly what I'd do and if I got a decrease in pay I would do everything possible to pay less.

How about hopping off that high horse of yours and admit if you were in this position you'd do the same exact thing?
dad2grls
100+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm

"if I was paying child support to a miserable вitch of an exwife who kept most of it for herself "

Assumes facts not in evidence. OP has not indicated that his ex is miserable, a b**Ch or keeps the child support for herself.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby dadforever » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 pm

I think the issue is that from the States perspective, financially supporting ones child is the sole responsibility of the payer (read: the man). The State doesn't care whatsoever if the woman financially supports the children.
dadforever
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 pm

stop projecting
dad2grls wrote:yada yada yada don't be argumentative then proceed to be very argumentative yada yada yada
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum