Relocating

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Relocating

Unread postby OrigamiDragon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:20 pm

Indiana S5

So I have to move out of my current place by the end of the month, and I want to move into the same neighborhood as my son. It's a mobile home community and the options are a single by the sewer and a double literally across the street from him for the same price. I can't tell if the extreme proximity makes it a no-go or if it just adds makes the choice even easier.

It's kind of out of the way, so the next closest rental is around 10 minutes from my son, I currently live around 20 minutes away closer to the heart of the town.

I want to be close to him, but I don't want to intentionally antagonize his crazy mother. Advice and opinions from the veterans please?
OrigamiDragon
100+ Posts

Re: Relocating

Unread postby americandadof5 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:31 pm

how likely is mom to move away once you move in?
americandadof5
100+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:41 pm

I know conventional wisdom says move as close as possible but if my ex moved across the street, I'd put in my notice that day. How likely is she to stay put?
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby OrigamiDragon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 pm

americandadof5 wrote:how likely is mom to move away once you move in?

I have no idea? She'll probably want to, but leases and what's available would make that difficult.

Chaos wrote:I know conventional wisdom says move as close as possible but if my ex moved across the street, I'd put in my notice that day. How likely is she to stay put?

Add it to the list of reasons why I think the neighborhood is too isolated, but I want to at least be in his school district because she is definitely planning to try a move and I want to be in position to stop him from getting uprooted.
OrigamiDragon
100+ Posts

Unread postby americandadof5 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:39 pm

If it cant be helped then fine, but being only 10 minutes away isnt bad at all for the purposes of preventing future relocation
americandadof5
100+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:00 am

Rather than focus your search on being near the mom, focus on being near the school.
a dad

Unread postby OrigamiDragon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 am

a dad wrote:Rather than focus your search on being near the mom, focus on being near the school.

I'm trying to, but my options are constrained. I can afford a very modest place on my own for a 2 bed or a small home sharing with my mom/his grandmother (whole host of benefits for my kid, not terribly keen for myself). I can't afford to buy, and frankly I wouldn't want to right now. The district is weird, right next to the school is an upscale neighborhood with no rentals that go to a private school within visual range of the public school my son goes to. A few minutes north where there is two home for rent options is a different elementary school but geographically closer to the school. To further complicate, the school district is changing lines next year but the specifics have yet to be revealed. She wants to move him 30 minutes away once her husband has saved up enough money to buy a home. My strategy is to object to him moving and try to get primary custody, with the full support of the GAL, his teachers and the school administration (and no objection from the counselor). I fear anything short of the same school district would fall flat because either way he has to change schools. I've been searching mainly through Zillow, Hotpads and Craigslist. If anyone is willing to help me find more options, or talk me through alternative suggestive strategies, I'm all ears.
OrigamiDragon
100+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:05 pm

How is your credit? Any pets? Are you a smoker? Any eviction filed against you?

Advertised rents may be negotiable. The sites you are using should cover the majority of available properties. How many years do you think it will take them to save up $10,000?
The List: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/father_divor ... hp?t=13374

The question is how much conflict you can control, negate, or avoid.
Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:27 pm

To be clear, you want your residence to be eligible for his current school. In some districts this means you need to be in the school neighborhood. In other districts, you can petition to be in any school in the district.

So first, check with the district to see what residential limitations exist for his current school.

Second, the district should have a map or list of boundaries that you can use in your search of new housing. There may be some areas you haven't tried yet. My district has a basic map online.

And third, after getting the district map and knowing how the district handles transfers, verify that your ex's potential new place is not eligible for the current school.
a dad

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Do you have geographic restriction in your decree??

If not, moving to S5's school district will help establish status quo in that regard.

Here's the deal: She can move where she pleases. But S5 remains at his current school. At issue here is best interest.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Next

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum