Child in juvenile detention

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Child in juvenile detention

Unread postby asullivan11 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:25 am

Has anyone experienced your child being arrested and placed in juvenile detention for a period of time? Can the noncustodial parent have child support stopped/suspended if the child is incarcerated and not living with the custodial parent? I don't feel I should be responsible for paying the ex when the child is in jail and she isn't financially responsible for him during this time. Would love feedback. Thanks
asullivan11
New

Re: Child in juvenile detention

Unread postby Theflash » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 am

You can ask for whatever modifications you want. I'd say your chances are pretty slim if it's a short term stay, though. Why don't you just support your child?

Also be aware you may get the order modified and be told to pay the state child support instead of the mother. A few states still do this.
Theflash
50+ Posts

Unread postby asullivan11 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:38 am

I would have no problem paying support to the state. I don't think my support should be sent to a custodial parent who doesn't even have the child in her custody.
asullivan11
New

Unread postby Theflash » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 am

Then file for a modification, because until you're in court what you think doesn't matter, you go by the order.
Theflash
50+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:05 am

Before jail, how often did you see this child? What are your orders for parenting time? What is the distance between your residence and the child's pre-incarceration residence?
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby MegaDad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:52 am

How are you feeling about the idea of your child being in the clink? You doing OKay?
MegaDad
100+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:43 pm

asullivan11 wrote:Has anyone experienced your child being arrested and placed in juvenile detention for a period of time? Can the noncustodial parent have child support stopped/suspended if the child is incarcerated and not living with the custodial parent? I don't feel I should be responsible for paying the ex when the child is in jail and she isn't financially responsible for him during this time. Would love feedback. Thanks
Need more info, Bro.

Son or daughter?? How old?? What's (s)he charged with?? How's (s)he doing in school?? Describe your relationship with him/her.

This is about your flesh and blood. You shouldn't be making this about child support and who's getting it.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum