(Tx) My Son's Mother Wants To Move Him To London

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Re: (Tx) My Son's Mother Wants To Move Him To London

Unread postby JimRockford » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:12 am

I guess they have nothing to lose by playing it tough and seeing if you go for it.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby jumanji » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:24 am

Why are you talking to your ex's new spouse? He's no one in this situation.
jumanji
500+ Posts

Unread postby dadforever » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:29 am

I think you made a very wise decision by not blowing up at the guy. Your reaction, or lack thereof, preserved the element of surprise in this new development of your case. I'd file an emergency motion asking for the surrender of the passport.
dadforever
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:35 am

Again, in this case, the passport is symbolic. There is no emergency, and there is no need to secure the passport to prevent the child from being taken to London.

The mother is bound by a Court Order. That is sufficient.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby dadforever » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:04 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Again, in this case, the passport is symbolic. There is no emergency, and there is no need to secure the passport to prevent the child from being taken to London.

The mother is bound by a Court Order. That is sufficient.

I disagree. If Mom bolts with the child, court order or not, it's going to take some combination of time, money, and stress to get the child back home. And there is always the risk that the court and authorities don't do their job.

I also think an overt threat to take the child to another country for 2 years qualifies as an emergency.
dadforever
100+ Posts

Unread postby MegaDad » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:21 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Upon the report and review of the Court Order, the Law Enforcement Agency with jurisdiction, either Sheriff or Police, would initiate a call to the mother to verify she has the child and establish the circumstances why she is interfering with the father's custody.

Any sane person would understand from this courtesy call to return the child to the US immediately.

If not, the local Jurisdiction gets a warrant from the Court, notifies the local FBI office, which contacts the FBI London office, who pays a visit to the mother and (since she is a US Citizen) places her under arrest. The consulate would take custody of the child, and it would be best if the father flew to London to pick up the child.

The mother would be repatriated and returned to Texas for prosecution courtesy of the US Marshals Office.

Very good information, thank you. Hopefully for the OP she will never commit such a brazen, stupid act as outright ignoring a court order and all this will not be needed.
MegaDad
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:39 pm

There is no emergency - the parenting plan has anticipated this circumstance and applied a geographical restriction. You cannot seek a Court Order in anticipation that something bad might happen.

The passport remains symbolic, and chasing it a useless waste of legal fees when the real fight will be over the long-distance parenting plan. Even if the child remains with the father, the mother will be allowed to have parenting time in London. The child will be going to London, the question is how often and how long.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby dadforever » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:57 pm

BartSimpson wrote:There is no emergency - the parenting plan has anticipated this circumstance and applied a geographical restriction. You cannot seek a Court Order in anticipation that something bad might happen.

The passport remains symbolic, and chasing it a useless waste of legal fees when the real fight will be over the long-distance parenting plan. Even if the child remains with the father, the mother will be allowed to have parenting time in London. The child will be going to London, the question is how often and how long.

I do not see it that way. First of all, the threat was something that happened; not something that might happen. Second, you can call it symbolic all you want. Doesn't change the fact that if she bolts with the kid, OP will have to chase after the child after the fact.

As to parenting time in London, if I'm OP no way am I agreeing to it and I'd fight it tooth and nail, mountain to die on style. I'm not convinced that the court would award, either.
dadforever
100+ Posts

Unread postby Texasaggs12thman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks for the responses.
Texasaggs12thman
10+ Posts

Unread postby Chasbo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:32 pm

I agree with an aggressive proactive response.

Find an attorney with experience in relocations. If they move with the kids it gets much harder in my opinion. Let the ex know you will fight with every resource you have.

That's what I did.
Chasbo
1K+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum