Ex moved without informing me (Joint Custody)

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Ex moved without informing me (Joint Custody)

Unread postby Jm632 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:04 pm

We both live in New York , I have joint legal custody , the mother recently told me the baby woke up late , I asked why , she stated new surroundings , I had called her and asked what she meant , she said she had moved from her parents house and when i would pick up the baby i would have the new address. but she had failed to tell me she was planning to move. Right now we are in court for a modification in custody where I had requested more parenting time and she had filed a motion aganist me. Everything we speak about is through email , was she supposed to inform before moving , my attorney said yes but I have to work on the motion first to dismiss it but she said she would note that issue down , can this affect my petition for more time in some way?
Jm632
10+ Posts

Re: Ex moved without informing me (Joint Custody)

Unread postby BartSimpson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Probably not if the move was local. Telling you is a formality, she didn't need your permission.

How far did she move?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Jm632 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:13 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Probably not if the move was local. Telling you is a formality, she didn't need your permission.

How far did she move?

Not sure but when I pick up my son on my days she said i would find out the new address
Jm632
10+ Posts

Unread postby quantum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:18 pm

I may be in a similar boat. I am curious what is considered as "local"?
Moving forward with distress behind!
quantum
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Jm632 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 pm

hopeful dad wrote:I may be in a similar boat. I am curious what is considered as "local"?

Good question , i was already about an 45 mins away from my aon although we both lived in NY just different boroughs wondering as well and if she moved farther , really worried ..
Jm632
10+ Posts

Unread postby americandadof5 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:49 pm

Depending on your current order pertaining to your time sharing agreement, moving x amount miles away from the other parent may be the only thing that can become an issue because it can be argued that the new distance can affect your current time sharing. Many times its 50 miles
americandadof5
100+ Posts

Unread postby Jm632 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:27 pm

americandadof5 wrote:Depending on your current order pertaining to your time sharing agreement, moving x amount miles away from the other parent may be the only thing that can become an issue because it can be argued that the new distance can affect your current time sharing. Many times its 50 miles

We share joint custody my attorney (court appointed) told me she was suppose to inform me before she moved despite wherever she moved, however I am aware she doesnt need my permission to move but how does that work when we have joint legal custody of the child
Jm632
10+ Posts

Unread postby americandadof5 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:40 pm

making a fuss over a parent moving isnt really a move worth making unless it will affect your time sharing agreement. If the distance is too far, will it change your reasonable ability to maintain the same schedule of contact you have with your child.

For example, if mom lived 40 miles west of you and then one day now lived 40 miles east of you, notifying you ahead of time really is as a courtesy but not something i think you want to waste resources on in court fighting.
americandadof5
100+ Posts

Unread postby Jm632 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:21 pm

americandadof5 wrote:making a fuss over a parent moving isnt really a move worth making unless it will affect your time sharing agreement. If the distance is too far, will it change your reasonable ability to maintain the same schedule of contact you have with your child.

For example, if mom lived 40 miles west of you and then one day now lived 40 miles east of you, notifying you ahead of time really is as a courtesy but not something i think you want to waste resources on in court fighting.

Yeah good point , Thank you for the advice .
Jm632
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Here's what joint legal custody means in a nutshell:

She can make decisions for the child on her time, you can make decisions for the child on your time.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Next

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum