therapist

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Re: therapist

Unread postby rclv83 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:43 pm

apparently it's a standard clause in TX decrees. Don't know what to tell you. Was certainly not high on my radar when finalizing. That said, it'll be issue #895 that I need to clean up at the next court date.

Regardless, it is what it is. All I can do is object and move on. OR I can fully engage and do this exercise...again. Right?
rclv83
50+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:50 pm

At this point, I would say that you need to get your attorney's opinion about how to proceed. Maybe some members who are more familiar with Texas law can chime in as well. To me the ability for either parent to place the child in psychological care without agreement and also for the allowance of each parent to "therapist shop" and potentially send the child to a different therapist cannot be in the "best interests" of the child. I would hope that the past track record with the previous therapist would be in your favor.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby rclv83 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 pm

fair enough. All I can do (I am assuming at this point) is to object strongly and disengage. Yes, I can fight this out in court but I'm also amassing many other issues to be handled and this will just have to be another. For me, the issue was just not getting sucked into her game, which is what this is. I have done this already, and it ends up meaning weekly appointments, time away from work, expense, and defending myself. I'm tired of it.

I'll simply go on record with my objections and have this teed up as an issue to address at the next court opportunity.
rclv83
50+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

If you send the refuse to give consent letter anyway vs. just stating your objections, what is the worst that can happen? This is something that even if you don't have an attorney right now, that I would at a minimum pay for an hour of one's time for before proceeding.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:10 pm

I would check with your insurance company, but I doubt they will pay for 2 therapists of the same type at the same time. I'd bring your child to the original therapist and send a certified letter to your ex that if she does not agree with your actions, she can take it to court. If she insists on bringing the child to another therapist, insurance won't cover it, and since you don't consent, she can pay 100% of it out of pocket.

I doubt she would win in court. It's already been shown the original therapist has been successful in treating the child.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Have you considered the baggage that may haunt the child, so broken as to need a therapist at such an early age? [Rhet.]
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:19 pm

If you find two separate therapist unethical and callous enough to treat the same patient without coordinating treatment you are living in Quackville. STOP. Reassess before you < edited > up the kid for life.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby JimRockford » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 pm

I would also think that if your ex puts the child in therapy with her chosen therapist, and you respond by placing the child in therapy with another, that this approach will not go well for you in court, not to mention what it can do to the child.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby rclv83 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:If you find two separate therapist unethical and callous enough to treat the same patient without coordinating treatment you are living in Quackville. STOP. Reassess before you < edited > up the kid for life.

They won't. The first one said she wasn't impressed with this. The 2nd one said that NJ had "released" the 1st one by scheduling with her. I'm trying to NOT < edited > up my kid for life by keeping her out of unnecessary therapy based on NJs latest emotions.
rclv83
50+ Posts

Unread postby RockyCali » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:21 am

1) A certified letter to the therapist saying "at this time" you do not consent to treatment for your daughter. Include a copy of the decree that states you have joint legal custody. The therapist is not legally allowed to proceed.

2) A certified letter to your ex.

As joint legal parent, you also have complete access to all records so if you believe the child has seen the therapist, just file a records request. Don't be a jerk about it, and do not explicitly reassert your original stance. You're mostly radio silent. But filing regular records requests when you know there's something new is totally within your rights. Unless there's a portal. Then use the portal. You're gathering evidence, not trying to harass the provider (even if you think she hates you and all other men).

Similar note: our children's pediatrician testified by phone in our custody hearing and I learned what I thought was just tin-foil conspiracy thinking: he doesn't think highly of me and he is offended by my questions about treatment of my children (which have been frequent and extreme). Was grateful that the judge saw through this, as he asked the doctor specifically where he got the information about "x" diagnosis of one child and "y" diagnosis of another child and "z" mental issues of the children's father ... he paused each time and said more sheepishly every time. "From mother."
RockyCali
100+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum