Attorney help needed in San Antonio!

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Attorney help needed in San Antonio!

Unread postby amon_amarth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum and please need some help! Does anyone have any family attorney suggestions for San Antonio, TX? Preferably one who specializes in child support cases for fathers.
My ex is requesting a 3 year review and has not given me a reason why she needs more money for my child.  I am not behind on payments and have not missed one.
She is purely doing this to be vindictive because it's the law and she can.
I just got served and have a court date set in April so any help asap would be appreciated!
amon_amarth
New

Re: Attorney help needed in San Antonio!

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 pm

The good hosts of this site have an office in San Antonio. Call them and let them know where you heard of them. Cordell & Cordell.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:12 pm

My state allows a 3 year review as a matter of right. Don't need a change in circumstances.

It's just a review though. They just compare incomes, child care costs, health care costs etc.

No big deal, you make what you make, she makes what she makes, the costs are the costs, the formula spits out a number and that is what you pay or receive. Done.
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 pm

36 months is fairly standard throughout the states. You shouldn't need an attorney unless there's an intention to deviate from guideline.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Bobby5000 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:20 pm

What do you pay now and what does she want. What does the lawyer want to charge you. Costs are a consideration.
Bobby5000
100+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 pm

amon_amarth wrote:Hi I'm new to this forum and please need some help! Does anyone have any family attorney suggestions for San Antonio, TX? Preferably one who specializes in child support cases for fathers.
My ex is requesting a 3 year review and has not given me a reason why she needs more money for my child.  I am not behind on payments and have not missed one.
She is purely doing this to be vindictive because it's the law and she can.
I just got served and have a court date set in April so any help asap would be appreciated!
Texas is not an "income shares" state. Child support calculation is based solely upon obligor's income.

Tex. Fam. Code §§ 154.001 et seq.

This doesn't hafta be rocket science. Calculate your child support obligation per TX child support calculator. Crunch your numbers ahead of time.

For that matter, you shouldn't hafta appear in court at all. Child support can be modified administratively through Support Enforcement. No court appearance. No attorney fees. One call does it all.

But before Support Enforcement can get involved, your ex will hafta withdraw her motion.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby amon_amarth » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:40 pm

I pay $475 per month in child support and I have increased my pay significantly recently so that may double.
The other issue is that the Attorney General is claiming that I have arrears which is incorrect. They didn't give me credit for ALL of the bank transfers I made directly to my ex before CS starting coming directly out of my paycheck. I have bank statements to prove I am current (actually slightly ahead) on all child support payments and I went into the attorney general's office the other day but was told they couldn't do anything due to the pending court date.
So yeah there's that too, really don't want to show up in court without a decent lawyer.
amon_amarth
New

Unread postby astrolink » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:47 pm

If your income has doubled by your tax return (that is what they go by), your support will double. Sorry, there's nothing you or an attorney can do to change that as it's calculated by formula.

Plus, you've now set a new "income potential," which means it could be difficult to lower support in the future if you wanted to change jobs to a lower paying one.

It's understand it's not very fair; $475 was enough to raise the child yesterday and it's $950 tomorrow, even though the costs haven't changed, just the amount your ex will get.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 pm

amon_amarth wrote:The other issue is that the Attorney General is claiming that I have arrears which is incorrect. They didn't give me credit for ALL of the bank transfers I made directly to my ex before CS starting coming directly out of my paycheck.
Support Enforcement doesn't recognize other methods of payment, such as bank transfers. This is why we recommend paying CS thru Support Enforcement. Granted, it takes a month or so to get set up. So in those early weeks post-divorce, NJ will just hafta be patient.

There's no getting around it, it'll take a court order to erase the arrearage.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum