When to call CPS

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Re: When to call CPS

Unread postby RockyCali » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:12 pm

I wouldn't say "finally," as she changed her tune pretty quickly after your assertive stance was made known.

Way to ball up.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Unread postby sqlbird » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:36 pm

RockyCali wrote:I wouldn't say "finally," as she changed her tune pretty quickly after your assertive stance was made known.

Way to ball up.

Thanks, you guys have been my go to resource for a lot of issues. I appreciate the advice.

I finally got the chance to speak with my S(5)and he added that the boy (13) exposed himself to him as well which was not told to me or my ex. He described the situation such that I was convinced that is what he saw. I called the police officer involved and gave him those details . The officer said my ex basically told him I had blackmailed her into calling him and to more or less not follow through with an investigation. He spoke to the boy's father who is convinced my son is telling tall tales.He said it would probably be referred to a detective but there was no evidence to go on. They mentioned they would also report it to CPS and I would hear from them if they "accepted" the case.

I was pretty pissed my nj told the officer to basically not follow through on it. I told the officer I would like him to continue his investigation but understood the limitation due to lack of evidence. The officer strangely enough asked if I called the boys parents to talk to them. I told him I didn't know if that was appropriate.

Should I follow up with CPS myself?
sqlbird
100+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Are you looking for a magic bullet to get your son away from your ex?

You know, what this kid did is not your ex's fault. It sort of seems like you want it to be for some reason. This could have happened with a neighbor kid around you on your time.

Your kid handled it well. When you talk to him next make sure you tell him he did the right thing in telling and rejecting the offer of the older kid.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:44 pm

This happened to your son.

Statistically, it is likely it happened to the older boy as well and he's mimicking learned behavior.

Consider that with your call for criminal prosecution because you may be the parent hiring the attorney in a couple of years.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby sqlbird » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 pm

afc wrote:Are you looking for a magic bullet to get your son away from your ex?

You know, what this kid did is not your ex's fault. It sort of seems like you want it to be for some reason. This could have happened with a neighbor kid around you on your time.

Your kid handled it well. When you talk to him next make sure you tell him he did the right thing in telling and rejecting the offer of the older kid.

No, not at all. I'm interested in protecting my kid and also making sure that no other kid is made a victim by the neighbor boy. You might be projecting what other posters have posted about my ex in this thread.
sqlbird
100+ Posts

Unread postby sqlbird » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:This happened to your son.

Statistically, it is likely it happened to the older boy as well and he's mimicking learned behavior.

Agreed
sqlbird
100+ Posts

Unread postby RockyCali » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:46 am

Make sure you get copies of all the police and CPS reports. I had a false CPS claim against me by my ex, and I have all the documentation. "Unfounded" ... "close the case" ... etc. You want this documentation for many reasons -- not the least of which is connecting dots that may not even be drawn yet.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:21 pm

RockyCali wrote:Make sure you get copies of all the police and CPS reports......You want this documentation for many reasons -- not the least of which is connecting dots that may not even be drawn yet.
^^^ +1

You're wearing two hats, Bro: 1) As a father; 2) As a responsible citizen.

Fast forward 20 years and you see this 13 yr old (now 30-something) on the 6:00 News, arrested on multiple counts of child molestation, what will you think in 20/20 hindsight?? Could I have prevented this?? Did I do everything I could?? Could I have done more??

And BTW - If no report is written, be sure to get an incident number. And yes, you should follow through, because chances are, police and CPS will do nothing.

It's not like it's incumbent upon you to do "everything," because you can't. But you should step up and do what you can. Because, for the sake of those other children yet-to-be, that would be doing the "right thing."

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Previous

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum