Son admitted to Mental Hospital-Ex won't give me info

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Son admitted to Mental Hospital-Ex won't give me info

Unread postby BlendedChaos » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33 am

I
Last edited by BlendedChaos on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlendedChaos
New

Re: Son admitted to Mental Hospital-Ex won't give me info

Unread postby BartSimpson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:53 am

What can you do to help?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby astrolink » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:02 pm

I work as a mental health professional, but in a different state than IL. Here are the rules/guidelines for IL mental health facilities regarding minors: https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal- ... d-transfer

Your child may have the right to refuse to see you, but with IL having both legal and physical custody, are you sure you don't have joint legal custody, which is common? If you do, you may have the right to more information.

Know that a child won't be admitted to this type of facility unless than have been evaluated by a psychiatrist. Your ex can't just send him there. In other words, if he's been admitted, he's very much in crisis and needs psychiatric help.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby BlendedChaos » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm

No, ex has sole physical and legal custoday.

He's been seeing a psychiatrist since last year. When I ask questions, my ex will ignore the emails. Our divorce decree states that I have to be notified of any change on my sons health within 2 days.

I am fully aware this is a very serious situation and that is why I'm trying to get information on my sons mental status. But I am being told by my ex, not the hospital or doctor that my son does not want to speak to me or have me informed of his treatment.

She said she'll email me when he is released from the hospital but until then she will not provide any information.
BlendedChaos
New

Unread postby astrolink » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Because your ex has sole legal custody, she isn't under any obligation to inform you of specifics.

Your decree states slightly otherwise, which she has done. And, she stated you will be informed when he is released, which also keeps her in compliance with the decree.

It doesn't appear there is anything you can do legally. I won't dole actual legal advice here. I always recommend folks check with an attorney as I'm not one.

I'd send him a card that puts no pressure on him whatsover or demeans or shows anger towards him or your ex. Instead, tell him how you feel, want to be supportive and that your door is open should he wish to contact you for any reason.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:40 pm

why is the story around your custody?
massdad1234
500+ Posts

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum