Preparing for GAL

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Re: Preparing for GAL

Unread postby americandadof5 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:09 pm

oh wow, theses things are inexpensive!!!!
americandadof5
100+ Posts

Meeting with GAL tomorrow!

Unread postby americandadof5 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 pm

so today was my hearing on my motion to appoint the GAL. Given the distance and time left before final hearing, judge seemed hesitant to allow it, though he in the end granted the motion. For now i have to foot all cost related until mom files her financial affidavit and the judge agrees to apportion some of the future costs to her. Mom didnt show nor did she ask for leave. But it didnt seem to matter.

I got a call from the GAL and we have our first meet and greet tomorrow. She told me to bring the pleadings filed in the case and anything else i feel she sould see

What else do i feel she should see?
americandadof5
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Nice pictures of your kids.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby americandadof5 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Update:

GAL meeting went good. I was afraid to dig in too much on the first meeting so we just covered the basics, like the timeline over the years and what lead us here to today. She looked at some pictures I brought with me of s10 and his siblings and other friends or family. She says she'll do her best to avoid having to travel and in her experience, its only been the parents that move away that wants the GAL so that they can come to "see how great it is over here".

She told me to gather documents together of the things that are in dispute. Any records, or communications. To create a written timeline and to get her a list of people that she can talk to, who are familiar with S10 and have witnessed his relationship with me.

----
Sidenote:
So mid-Feb we noticed mom with subpoena to appear for deposition. She has only just now as of this past Fri stated that she wont appear, so now we've moved to compel her to attend, which is set for 3rd week of March.

She has just asked me via text if she can appear by telephone. I have to say that I'm no longer obliged to help her in any kind of way. We also intend to ask the court to find her in contempt of the courts recent order for her to comply with mandatory disclosure.

How would you best recommend I proceed?
americandadof5
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Radio silence is golden.
”No is a complete sentence” Unknown
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby RockyCali » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Yeah, completely ignore her text messages.

What's she gonna say "your honor, I texted him and asked if I could appear by telephone and he didn't answer me."

That won't fly.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Unread postby steelmark » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 am

americandadof5 wrote: She says she'll do her best to avoid having to travel and in her experience, its only been the parents that move away that wants the GAL so that they can come to "see how great it is over here".

Yup. My ex and her family pulled that very stunt including a car ride around town. The unicorn parking signs didn't sway the GAL, status quo did.
Prepare and execute to win by a thousand miles, just to be in position to win by an inch.
steelmark
1K+ Posts

Unread postby americandadof5 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:14 pm

steelmark wrote:
americandadof5 wrote: She says she'll do her best to avoid having to travel and in her experience, its only been the parents that move away that wants the GAL so that they can come to "see how great it is over here".

Yup. My ex and her family pulled that very stunt including a car ride around town. The unicorn parking signs didn't sway the GAL, status quo did.

Status quo :roll: . That means nothing in my case
americandadof5
100+ Posts

Unread postby Ohiogal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:57 am

americandadof5 wrote:Ohio or anyone else familiar....

Can a GAL come up with an effective report and recommendation when brought on with less than 2 months to go for a final hearing? Especially in interstate cases?

Yes. I have done effective reports with only month.... It depends on the details and where the parties are as well as my schedule. It is possible.
I am licensed only in Ohio. NOTHING stated by me is legal advice OR forms an attorney/client relationship or is to be taken as me advising you regarding YOUR personal LEGAL circumstances.
Ohiogal
500+ Posts

Unread postby americandadof5 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Ohiogal wrote:
americandadof5 wrote:Ohio or anyone else familiar....

Can a GAL come up with an effective report and recommendation when brought on with less than 2 months to go for a final hearing? Especially in interstate cases?

Yes. I have done effective reports with only month.... It depends on the details and where the parties are as well as my schedule. It is possible.

Well thats pretty much all the time my GAL has. S10 will be here for Spring Break so we've set up a meet n greet with the GAL for then but Im just concerned that it wont be a good enough opportunity to make an observation which im hoping obviously is in my favor with S10.

I've even considered possibly asking to delay the final hearing, so instead of April, maybe until a later point in the summer. Im confident the judge would order temporary time sharing for us for the summer. This would give the GAL an ample opportunity to observe S10 at home here and hopefully recommend that he stays. I've hated every single delay there has been in my case, up until I thought of a way to make it a positive.
americandadof5
100+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum