Sent out a little girl, got back a lobster

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Sent out a little girl, got back a lobster

Postby KeepingMyKids » Wed May 23, 2012 10:50 am

D9's class had a field trip to a waterpark yesterday, an end of the year treat for kids who read a certain number of books during the year (she worked her butt off on it, even working thru Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH). She had informed me a couple of weeks ago that NJ told her she was going to drive up and meet her and her class there. Ok, D9 gets some time with the 'egg donor' without Mr. Wonderful attached at hip, might be good for her, no problem. I pack her travel bag with SPF 100 water resistant sunblock (a name brand even, not generic) i specifically picked up for this trip, because she's very fair skinned. Should be fine.

So I get out of work, stop by my parents' to pick up kids, she's huddled on a recliner under a blanket. Blanket comes off, and her shoulders, back, and arms are literally red as a tomato. I asked if her mother had put the sunscreen on her, she says "She put some on when we got there." Any other time during the day? No. NJ is a nurse and fair skinned as well; she knows better. She's out with me, she gets a heavy application and then touchups hourly. Covered her with aloe, dosed with childrens ibuprofen, put her in one of my soft tshirts to keep from irritating. She's in good spirits, fortunately; actually seems resigned that it happened :( Kept her home from school today because the poor kiddo could barely move, making sure she drinks lots of water and going to get some heavy duty aloe gel and apply it from the fridge. Pretty livid about it myself, grrrrrr.
"Your problem is you shook a wh0re tree and expected an angel to drop out."
KeepingMyKids
500+ Posts

Re: Sent out a little girl, got back a lobster

Postby secondhalf » Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 am

OK, the mother dropped the ball on this one. However, so did the school. If I understand correctly this was a school sponsored trip. The teachers should have made sure that everyone had sunscreen. "OK kids, line up for sunscreen".
secondhalf
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Wed May 23, 2012 11:01 am

Already happened once this year to the kiddos.

IMO, the sooner you can get them putting on their own sunbolck, the better.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain
Fatheroffour

Postby jumbledone » Wed May 23, 2012 11:05 am

secondhalf wrote:OK, the mother dropped the ball on this one. However, so did the school. If I understand correctly this was a school sponsored trip. The teachers should have made sure that everyone had sunscreen. "OK kids, line up for sunscreen".

I was on a field trip this week. Not to a water park, but outside nonetheless. Brought along plenty of sunscreen that, so that I could have spared some for other kids. However, the teacher asked us to not share sunscreen with other kids for fear of an allergic reaction. The only thing that was noted was that the kids should have sunscreen applied before going to school, then we were outside for about 6 hours, long after any protection would have worn off.
The meaning of life is Happiness. What makes you happy? - Dalai Lama

For a more peaceful life, live the serenity prayer.

It's like he never existed - FoF
jumbledone
5K+ posts

Postby secondhalf » Wed May 23, 2012 11:09 am

I was on a field trip this week. Not to a water park, but outside nonetheless. Brought along plenty of sunscreen that, so that I could have spared some for other kids. However, the teacher asked us to not share sunscreen with other kids for fear of an allergic reaction. The only thing that was noted was that the kids should have sunscreen applied before going to school, then we were outside for about 6 hours, long after any protection would have worn off.

Wow, times have changed since my kids were of that age.
secondhalf
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 am

My school had a smoking area. Now a kid gets caught with a little bit of tobacco in the bottom of the book bag and they can be suspended. You could keep a bottle of aspirin in your locker for the morning hangover or get one from the teacher and not an eyebrow was raised. Only the school nurse could possibly give out an aspirin and only then after checking with the parents.

It's definitely a different world.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain
Fatheroffour

Postby MMF » Wed May 23, 2012 11:15 am

jumbledone wrote:
secondhalf wrote:OK, the mother dropped the ball on this one. However, so did the school. If I understand correctly this was a school sponsored trip. The teachers should have made sure that everyone had sunscreen. "OK kids, line up for sunscreen".

Yep, they make the kids bring in their own sunscreen and depending on the age, apply it themselves too.
I've lost many battles, but I will win the war.
MMF
1K+ Posts

Postby KeepingMyKids » Wed May 23, 2012 11:20 am

Yeah, each kid was told to supply his own sunblock. I would have anyway just to ensure she didn't end up with just SPF 15 or something, the child is a little ghost.

From what I gather, there were volunteers responsible for small groups of kids. NJ was apparently one, with of course D9 in her group. I have no idea if any of the other kids in the same group also got flash fried. I do agree that someone from the school should have been paying better attention. But NJ was involved in her care for six years, she *knows* how easily she burns. Her face and front, where she could reach herself, is fine. It's her back, backs of arms, upper shoulders that are burned. Only upside is that she's letting me "baby" her a bit; nice to have a little girl again instead of 9 going on 16.
"Your problem is you shook a wh0re tree and expected an angel to drop out."
KeepingMyKids
500+ Posts

Postby wcd9973 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:11 pm

It happens. Took my kids (Son is VERY fair skins) to the beach last year and covered him with sun screen over and over again....

Too bad I didn't account for him spending most of his time bent over digging in the sand exposing the top of his butt....Which ended up bright Red.....
wcd9973
100+ Posts

Postby defaultuser » Wed May 23, 2012 2:14 pm

If that happened to my kid, I'd take her to the doctor to document it.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Next

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum