serious either/or question

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Re: serious either/or question

Unread postby a dad » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:48 am

whatever_works wrote:Incorrect. Not when you update your OS. But based on your battery's age. Not defending them. Just stating the facts.
Without the software updates, you don't have the problem.
a dad

Unread postby whatever_works » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Actually you do. The current software underclocks the cpu if the battery is old. You don't need to upgrade the device as I understand it.
whatever_works
500+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:18 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/22/apple-lawsuits-intentional-slowing-older-iphones wrote:“Apple purposefully and knowingly released operating system software updates to iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and certain iPhone 7 phones that slowed the performance speeds of the central processing units (‘CPUs’) of these devices,”

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/21/technology/apple-slows-down-old-iphones/index.html wrote:The tech giant issued a rare statement of explanation on Thursday, saying that it has used software updates to limit the performance of older iPhones that may have battery issues that would cause them to turn off suddenly.

Tech analysts and angry customers have reported in recent days that operating system updates had caused older iPhones to slow considerably, with some suggesting that Apple could be using the tactic to encourage fans to buy new phones.

Apple insists the updates were made with a different goal in mind: It said the performance of lithium-ion batteries degrades over time, which can sometimes cause phones to suddenly shut down in order to protect their components.

The company said its software updates for the iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone SE and iPhone 7 are designed to "smooth out" peak power demands, prevent these surprise shutdowns and ultimately prolong the lifespan of batteries.

But the updates can also lead to disappointing speeds.
a dad

Unread postby astrolink » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:52 pm

I buy 2 year old refurbished Iphones for $250 or so then use straight talk for $35/month....it's saved me thousands over the years. I don't care about their speed. I use it to actually make calls, send texts and stream some music. 2G, 3G, 4G, or whatever would make no difference to me. I mostly hate smartphones anyway. I've been on too many dates where the woman is so locked into their phoneI never call them again. I put my phone to only vibrate when I'm with somebody. To me, constant interruptions are rude and can ruin the flow as you try to get something romantic ignited. I hate competing with phones....if you are that into it, you can forget about getting into my wallet and get intimate with your phone instead.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Previous

Return to Miscellany