NFL, protests, and hyperventilation

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Re: NFL, protests, and hyperventilation

Unread postby massdad1234 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 am

Isn't that exactly that, leveling the playing field? Otherwise, what does equal rights after hundreds of years of oppression really solve? Those that made fortunes and "got ahead" on the backs of slaves and unlevel playing fields, got to keep and grow those fortunes along with their position in life. That doesn't exactly sound like leveling the field. Its an interesting thought exercise though.
Trevor wrote:I think we've mentioned here before that the slow erosion of white privilege is seemingly indistinguishable from reverse discrimination, rather than the actual leveling of the field that it aspires to be.

Once the minority majority takes over, that more than likely will happen. The irony is, at that time, those incumbents will be the first to scream equality for all!
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Coffee fiend » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:52 am

massdad1234 wrote:Not openly discussing structural racism is part of the problem. Only when it is brought to light constantly will there be change, with I think Mr. Kapernick has done a great job of initiating discourse on.

We can discuss racism but getting people to change is the hard part.
When you are raised in an environment where racism is not considered and is also offensive it can help culture a socially unacceptable view of racists. Its not hiding heads in the sand, it is about seeing all people equally.
I will admit I don't know the definition of structural racism.
I thought it could be possible to someday make racism more of an uncommon and socially unacceptable view. But I guess it is always going to exist so we should have the government set up retraining programs to help.
I know some LEOs that work in homicide and their outlook on humanity over all is very gloomy because of their exposure to the dark side of people. They could use help too.
Coffee fiend
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:33 am

in America, people used to look down on - native americans, irish, Italian, Asian, now Arabic etc. Until you continually confront it, it stays.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:33 am

Exposure to people different from you is critical. That's what we all need to do with our kids as best we can. First hand exposure with people different from you can bring the realization that most people on this planet want to be safe, employed, and happy with their families and friends. Yes there are exceptions, but the ones that are like this are probably sociopaths or psychopaths who don't fit well into any social fabric.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby massdad1234 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 am

your LEO buddies are exactly the people that need to confront this issue in the open. If you only form an opinion of the people you come in contact with in a LEO duty, of course they are going to be biased. Not only that, but statistically speaking, because there are more 'white' folks in America, they commit more crimes. The statistic that people use to discredit a race the very thing that confirms structural racism,

"blacks(minority representation) are X(times) more likely to be in jail for a crime"

What they fail to realize is the crime rates is esentially the same across all races.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 am

Chantius goes to jail
Chad gets probation.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby afc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:12 am

Starts even earlier.

Acting up at school, LaQuanda gets detention
Britney gets concerned call to parents and "what is bothering you"

"Adults in the United States tend to view black girls as "less innocent" and more grown up than white girls," http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/28/health/bl ... index.html
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby RC611V » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:34 am

Same for male/female.

boys are troublemakers.

girls need help and support.

And we perpetuate it.
Only chicky dudes send PMs and then delete them before they're read, in the middle of the night.
RC611V
5K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 am

not only that afc, but LaShawn gets jail time while Steve gets JuVee.

This is why I think its important to discuss these things in the open, some folks aren't even aware of their unconscious biases.

Reminds me of a story with my dad recently. He is trying to make an effort to have more empathy, probably a little white privledge guilt. So I engage him in dialogue surrounding a young black male shot in the back and killed like a dog for running from the cops after stealing a car. Essentially my dads response was "he shouldn't have stolen a car".

When I shared with him that approximately 700,000 cars will stolen in the USA alone, and I would posit that 99.999% of them resulted in zero causalities, that the police force does know how to handle those situations without lethal force. Funny how the body camera tech always seems to malfunction when a cop shoots someone unarmed in the back. You would think the body camera tech would help clear them police force (hint: it does of FALSE accusations).

I mean, if you were not sure you were going to live from a routine traffic stop, why would you trust the cops or listen to what they have to say? Chances are they were going to fabricate something and merc you anyways. The only difference is now cell phones + internet.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:20 pm

massdad1234 wrote:Essentially my dads response was "he shouldn't have stolen a car".

Would he have said the same thing if the perp was white? His son, brother, nephew? [Rhet.]
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellany