NFL, protests, and hyperventilation

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Re: NFL, protests, and hyperventilation

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:59 am

That just sounds like sticking your head in the sand. That ignores that there are real problems with racism and people justify it in a whole gamut of ways. Some might simply say "see, its a culture thing, they don't work hard enough" or "so and so really has an edge to them" or "that's just how they were raised" "they really should clean up their own before making any comments about us" "They don't want to work hard, they just want to collect a check" "they are here to take our jobs" "nobody ever gave me anything" "Hard work is all it takes" "success rewards hard work"
Coffee fiend wrote:The only solution I can offer is to teach your children that all people are equal and not defined by their exterior appearance.

Not openly discussing structural racism is part of the problem. Only when it is brought to light constantly will there be change, with I think Mr. Kapernick has done a great job of initiating discourse on.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:07 pm

This is how they justify things, they don't think they're racist or sexist or discriminatory in any way at all

A couple of weekends ago I was sitting on my back porch and could hear the neighbors across the cul-de-sac. Its night time and you can hear about everything being said. The phrase that perked my ears up was "I'm no racist but...".

I thought *Here it comes*.

Then listened to a 10 minute rant peppered with N****R this and N****R that. His statistical analysis was that "90%" of the worthless POS's were "N****Rs but , I guess to demonstrate how non-racist he was, granted that they werent all like that and he knew some that were "productive contributors to society" like he was.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Sounds like he was following President L Don Hubbard with his similar comments and "I guess *some* of them [Mexican immigrants] are good people."
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:31 pm

No doubt.

You're not going to convince that guy he is a racist. You're not going to convince him that Colin has a valid perspective. You're not going to convince him that racism is a problem.

We're stuck with him and those like him.

The question shouldnt be how we are going to rid the culture of racism. Racist will always be with us. The issue is how to diminish them, how to ignore them, in what ways to shame them and how to better educate their progeny for the betterment of future society.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm

The Prevaricator-in-Chief has, to paraphrase our friend Sam, killed the reputational cost of being a racist in this country.
Trevor

Unread postby SKD » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Racist will always be with us.

Figure out who has the most to lose if racism in this country ever became irrelevant and you'll have your obstacle to ending racism.
SKD
100+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Do you believe racism is an artificial construct kept alive by a secret cabal that is benefiting from it?
Fatheroffour

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:09 pm

no, I don't think it is that covert. I always look to see who would be impacted the most if things changed. All the people who think they are simply getting by "by working harder than everyone else" not any sort of privilege.

People have a short memory though. Not only do they pretend that racism was never an issue, they also pretend that because laws were passed, that all is good.

Structural racism ended because of laws...
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:20 pm

I think we've mentioned here before that the slow erosion of white privilege is seemingly indistinguishable from reverse discrimination, rather than the actual leveling of the field that it aspires to be.
Trevor

Unread postby grandet2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:08 am

Fatheroffour wrote:
This is how they justify things, they don't think they're racist or sexist or discriminatory in any way at all

A couple of weekends ago I was sitting on my back porch and could hear the neighbors across the cul-de-sac. Its night time and you can hear about everything being said. The phrase that perked my ears up was "I'm no racist but...".

I thought *Here it comes*.

Then listened to a 10 minute rant peppered with N****R this and N****R that. His statistical analysis was that "90%" of the worthless POS's were "N****Rs but , I guess to demonstrate how non-racist he was, granted that they werent all like that and he knew some that were "productive contributors to society" like he was.

You don't really know a person till...

Story time:
I have a Jewish single neighbor, she is big in giving gifts to homeless at Christmas, I was driving while she was on a rant about her stbx (she called the cops on him), out came this old caprice from a side street blowing through a stop sign, I tapped my brakes and was about to exhale some choice profanities, instead I was shocked and speechless as she exploded in "N----this, N----that". It took a min to calm myself down and keep my mouth shut and not leave her at the coffee shop but for me it was "baptism by nj" that day.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandet2
100+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellany