Court lesson: Either prep or hire an atty

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Re: Court lesson: Either prep or hire an atty

Unread postby spritom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 pm

Trevor wrote:Not to split hairs, but hiring an atty does not exempt you from preparation. Far from it.

+1

Hiring an attorney means taking on the Managing The Attorney role. Perhaps like the Executive Producer of a movie of hiring the director (or later firing the director over creative differences). But by all means, keeping tabs on them.

I added it up for me back in the day, I saved about $12k by the stuff I learned on this board of:
* Making the high level strategy/direction decisions
* employing the attorney
* providing the attorney with my details, paperwork, goals, wants, needs, bottom-line-bargaining-etc.
- (NJ Ex sandbagged her own attorney by not telling him what she wanted for many months. OC really hated my Ex..lol!)
* keeping the attorney on track
* not using the attorney to lean on emotionally
New to all this? Read The List
TAC (The Acronym List)
Short-short version of what to do

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:32 pm

IMO you have to prepare EVERYTHING. Your lawyer will just put it together the way the judge likes it and points out the points your judge likes to see. Provided you hired the right lawyer of course.

I handed my lawyer my entire case on a silver platter. I had spent so much time watching my referee and judge that I knew how to present my data/evidence and all I did was hand my lawyer my "packet". He wrote the motion and attached what I gave him. He was impressed, he said after 30 years doing family law he had never had a client do what I did. Easiest 5 grand he ever made I'm sure.
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it
lovingfatherof2
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby Dadofonegreatson » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:38 pm

In my hearings so far, I have resorted to writing my own briefs. I went and pulled OC's previous cases as well to get an idea of how they present cases and what kind of verbiage they like to use etc. I have on many occasions reused OC's own verbiage against them. In addition to providing evidence with every single filing and bullet pointing the highlights for my attorney, then having emails, paperwork etc at the ready to slide across the table as as required. You have to take an active role, always.
Dadofonegreatson
10+ Posts

Unread postby nr552 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:11 pm

lovingfatherof2 wrote:IMO you have to prepare EVERYTHING. Your lawyer will just put it together the way the judge likes it and points out the points your judge likes to see. Provided you hired the right lawyer of course.

I handed my lawyer my entire case on a silver platter. I had spent so much time watching my referee and judge that I knew how to present my data/evidence and all I did was hand my lawyer my "packet". He wrote the motion and attached what I gave him. He was impressed, he said after 30 years doing family law he had never had a client do what I did. Easiest 5 grand he ever made I'm sure.

+1 on that... I "gave away" $9k to my attorney @ Gxxxxxxg & Jxxxx"... for nothing, and ended up representing myself, along with some very knowledgeable paralegal folks that helped me. If I had to do it all over again, I would still do as I did for my case-- learned the ropes-- visited court to watch cases with the same judge/commissioner, understand procedure and how cases flow. Then, spend 1/4th of that amount of $$$ on a competent attorney-- and hand them my case, plus manage my attorney. That $750 email pushed me over the edge-- guy couldn't spell my son's name right in some of the msc documentation, charged me for every email I sent him and what he responded back to me. Regarding his typos... 2 hours worth of email "time". The final $90 email response of "HA! I fat fingered it again!" to which he charged me $90 for that 1 liner. ---
nr552
500+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:33 pm

From what I experienced they aren't worth what they charge.

I had 3 lawyers in all and the one thing I noticed with all of them was how terrible their grammar was. Mine isn't great either but I didn't spend 10 years in school and I don't charge $400 an hour. If I can spot misspelled words and incomplete sentences in your motions then you have serious problems :lol:

And don't even get me started on the lack of communication and zero focus on your case.

My last lawyer was great, same problems as all the others except he lives to win, he would sell one of his kids if it meant winning. Not that it mattered much considering what I handed him.
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it
lovingfatherof2
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:36 pm

. . . says the guy who agreed to eight days a month.
a dad

Unread postby nr552 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 am

a dad wrote:. . . says the guy who agreed to eight days a month.

^^ another burn! You're on a roll! LOL.
nr552
500+ Posts

Previous

Return to Miscellany