DGAF Meter and Health

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

DGAF Meter and Health

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:47 am

Story time; I had a small health event two days ago and I ignored some of the limited strategy I give here. The strategy I ignored was that I let things that I can not control get me spun up. After about three days of REALLY getting spun up my blood pressure was so high that I was experiencing all of the conditions/symptoms etc of a stroke or a heart attack. NOT GOOD for me at 52. Thankfully I went to the emergency room (yea I know dizzy and driving, but I had years of experience driving impaired; and felt that I was safe enough to drive; however stopping several times to refocus and recognize that I was also trying to talk myself out of going). I ended up checking out as very healthy (once I got the tachometer down to Pinto speed from Bonneville Flats speed)!

So don't let your DGAF meter batteries run low and or not keep it up in all situations towards all contrary things that you can't control. Easier said than done I know.

The forum, our members and mods, and recovery have taught me that you can use that DGAF meter on ALL situations, people, places and things. I have taken a few days off, rested, and now can't stand it anymore; so headed into do some part time cat herding at me pt gig.

BUT I am trying to be more in tune with WHEN I am getting spun up; work issue comes up, I say not my problem. Or I think "how important is it?" If it is "Why is it important?". I also try to think of whether not this is "my" issue or problem. I am not a person who takes what I consider in my own opinion "fools" lightly. This also effects me out in public as well and not just limited to the workplace or personal life either. Another area I need help on (teaching folks driving skills, or fishing etiquette at the lake, common sense at the grocery store and on and on; you guys who suffer from this know what I am talking about; and I am seeking counsel (counseling and the Great Counselor).

I wanted to post this in a new thread because I think we talk here about the DGAF meter in our relationships with our spouses, STBX's, EX's and our children, but not so much about applying it to ALL areas of life. Yea I know don't waste your post its common sense right; well it didn't make it down into my stubborn brain six days ago when the spin up started festering.

I am really enjoying grand taco's Operation Chin Back thread and felt that by the grace of our generous hosts allowing us to post miscellany topics that bleed over to helping guys in the divorce arena. I am so grateful for the hosts and the mods (and their patience with me) and the ability to use the forum to help guys (and ultimately their kids [and spouses whether they admit it or not]).

Okay off to herd some felines as I can't stand resting here another ten minutes; and yes friends and foes I will be using my DGAF meter and until I get prescribed some high blood pressure meds; using the skills learned here and in recovery to NOT allow myself to get my motor running hot and risking overheating!

To our praying and thought sending members here I will tell you I appreciate them in advance.
Even now I was hesitating to post this and now its a very important topic because you CAN worry and fus yourself into a high blood pressure aneurysm or worse.

Thanks guys 8 ) !
Last edited by Havalu7 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
”No is a complete sentence” Unknown
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Re: DGAF Meter and Health

Unread postby RockyCali » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks for sharing this.

+1
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks Rocky!
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Me_and_my_boys » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:19 am

Take it easy. Most things are little things, and everything passes.
Me_and_my_boys
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks me and your boys; good word!

"Don't sweat the small stuff and all the rest is... small stuff"
My Mom.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby letgoandletgod » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:58 pm

Will keep you in prayer brother. Redirect the attention to your needs when you find yourself getting riled up over something. It's also ok to get angry sometimes, don't repress it either, just let it out in a healthy way if need be, exercise, go for a walk, punch a pillow, write it down and crumple it up or burn it (just don't set the house on fire!). In the words of a 106 year old man, "I might give out, but I'll never give in."
letgoandletgod
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Thanks LGLG! I actually broke out the long board today and the Dogtown OG skateboarded around a little bit 8 )

Posted this whole thing because I never thought it would happen to me.

Helping folks here too is also soothing and rewarding.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby grandetaco » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:00 am

Hav, anger is a normal reaction for the stuff we deal with in dealing with our nj's

A wise man once told me that in a fight when you get angry, you would probably lose the fight, anger will cloud your logical thoughts, anger will not resolve the program but make the hole bigger for you to dig out of.

Accept the problem, tell yourself that it could be worse, thanks the Lord for the glass being half full and work towards topping it off.

Long board, shitz, we have 12 inches on the ground here, lol,
Take care bro.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 am

Hey GT thanks for the reply. Luckily my spin up wasn't over the EX.

I did see her getting in her car yesterday as I went to my doctors appointment.

Funny thing was I didn't even feel sad or the old "what could have been feelings of the past".

Now that's progress! Hang in there with the snow.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Return to Miscellany