The current skewed laws make divorce a luxury

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

The current skewed laws make divorce a luxury

Unread postby bionic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Just read a statistic that said 80% of divorces are by women. Who....then blame the men yada yada yada...

As a solution I suggest the following to solve all the world's problems!

No fault divorce
There needs to be default 50/50 shared parenting.
Default both parents get a job (court imputes a basic wage) and then court uses the shared income calculations/formula for child support.
Zero or max 6 months of spousal support.
In regards to spousal support there would be zero tolerance for cheating - any evidence of cheating and cheater forgos spousal support. Got time to cheat you got time to look for employment.
From the lawyer standpoint they should offer budget divorces - pick your scenario 1,2,3 etc and here's your cost. Split it. Done.

:idea:
Last edited by bionic on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bionic
100+ Posts

Re: The current skewed laws make divorce a luxury

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:36 pm

May as well throw in mandatory DNA testing for every live birth to establish paternity.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby BartSimpson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 pm

State's Rights.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:50 pm

We used to have fault based divorces. It created lots of issues, people didn't like it and demanded the laws to be changed.

Going back usually isn't considered progress.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby afc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:54 pm

A fault based marriage would have made mine a hell. She was done with me. And I didnt want to stay married to a woman who didnt want to be married to me. How the heck was there to be a fault based cause for that? Just hang onto the marriage so long that inevitably one of us cheats because we can't stand each other?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby bionic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Fixed it - cheating was to only affect spousal support eligibility.
bionic
100+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:01 pm

afc wrote:A fault based marriage would have made mine a hell. She was done with me. And I didnt want to stay married to a woman who didnt want to be married to me. How the heck was there to be a fault based cause for that? Just hang onto the marriage so long that inevitably one of us cheats because we can't stand each other?

The problem is not fault vs. no-fault, it's the other precepts and assumptions and awards and biases which go with the current system that are pernicious and that encourage many out there to flush marriages down the toilet without bearing any consequences, and in many cases making out like bandits (case in point: my X).
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby grandetaco » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:14 pm

bionic wrote:Just read a statistic that said 80% of divorces are by women. Who....then blame the men yada yada yada...

As a solution I suggest the following to solve all the world's problems!

No fault divorce
There needs to be default 50/50 shared parenting.
Default both parents get a job (court imputes a basic wage) and then court uses the shared income calculations/formula for child support.
Zero or max 6 months of spousal support.
In regards to spousal support there would be zero tolerance for cheating - any evidence of cheating and cheater forgos spousal support. Got time to cheat you got time to look for employment.
From the lawyer standpoint they should offer budget divorces - pick your scenario 1,2,3 etc and here's your cost. Split it. Done.

:idea:

It is more like 94% in west Michigan or something wild.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:29 pm

In the handful of states where shared physical custody is fairly easy to get, men and women initiate divorce somewhat evenly.

For some women, it's about having the kids. For most, simply follow the money. In a study a few years ago, 90% of men said they will be willing to be the primary parent and forgo child support. Only 10% of women agreed to the same.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:39 pm

The only things I think need to be done differently is child support and alimony.

I don't have solutions though.
I type butter on mah phon
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to Miscellany