Estimated cost of divorce

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Estimated cost of divorce

Unread postby mechanicalguy1234 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:08 pm

So, i do have my final decree... It probably cost me about $3000 (Lawyers fees) so far. I have been paying for the mortgage probably about 10 months now, which is about $10,000. This is so i can save my credit and buy a home once this is over. I now have it stated that i have to pay the mortgage still until the ex can buy it from me, or i can sell it. That is about 6 months more($6,000) So far , Think ill be into this about $19,000 when its all done. Im currently living with my parents during this crisis.
Is anyone else have a similar story? I am hoping that i am not the only one getting rheemed this bad. I certainly cannot believe that i am. Also, i felt and hear that I'm am lucky cause i got a divorce decree under a years time. I hear about others going into 2-5 years to get out. And that means a lot more in attorney, mediation, and court fees.
mechanicalguy1234
10+ Posts

Re: Estimated cost of divorce

Unread postby mechanicalguy1234 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:18 pm

Just to clarify, i am saying that the $16000 in mortgage payments is what i had to pay while the Ex got to squat in my home till i could sell it. She has no intention to actually buy it. Her credit sucks. I have to keep paying it till i can sell it June 1, 2017. So , i ask this question cause it is just gut wrenching that i have to do this. Ands i would like to know if others have had to do this?
mechanicalguy1234
10+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:21 pm

Move back in. 8 )
”No is a complete sentence” Unknown
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby mechanicalguy1234 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:34 pm

I'm past that topic.......... i want to know others experience with type of issue....
mechanicalguy1234
10+ Posts

Unread postby mechanicalguy1234 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:40 pm

i'll ask my lawyer too if that was ever even a realistic idea......Doesn't sound like what happens in the real world. I moved out from the get go cause i wasn't going to get arrested because of a yelling and screaming woman. She was toxic and i felt my livelihood was jeopardized. The man always goes to jail or gets cited... always....
mechanicalguy1234
10+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:48 pm

What is strongly advocated here is to end all financial entanglements with your ex before a decree is signed. It seems the party that is supposed to refinance that can't/won't is the norm. Ultimately, it's your attorney that should have taken care of this.

It's a waiting game for you for the moment. You can't move back in. Your ex already has exclusive use by your decree.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby gamingdad » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:51 pm

The cost of divorce varies from person to person. I guess in the end, it costs what you think it's worth to be removed from a < edited > situation. In your case, the legal fees and continued mortgage payments for a house you don't live in is the cost.
For whatever its worth, it appears fear has been a huge factor in all of this, and that's unfortunate.
It's a jagged little pill to swallow that our fears can shape our future.
Tomorrow is Tuesday, what can you do different or start into motion and reap in the long run?
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Unread postby mechanicalguy1234 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:19 am

Is there any other men that are in this same situations? financially? I don't want to know what could of been done, i want to hear others experiences with this kind of situation
mechanicalguy1234
10+ Posts

Unread postby mechanicalguy1234 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:22 am

gamingdad wrote:The cost of divorce varies from person to person. I guess in the end, it costs what you think it's worth to be removed from a < edited > situation. In your case, the legal fees and continued mortgage payments for a house you don't live in is the cost.
For whatever its worth, it appears fear has been a huge factor in all of this, and that's unfortunate.
It's a jagged little pill to swallow that our fears can shape our future.
Tomorrow is Tuesday, what can you do different or start into motion and reap in the long run?

And thank you for the input. It seems, compared to what it could of cost,i chose the least costly. I believe i chose the least costly emotionally and financially. I believe it was worth it. It was going to cost no matter what, but i think i got a decent deal. I am hoping to hear others experiences in this kind of situation
mechanicalguy1234
10+ Posts

Unread postby gamingdad » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:28 am

Well, the deeper the hole, the taller the building.
What kind of perspective do you want to have?
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Next

Return to Miscellany