Merry Christmas! C'mon in!

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Re: Merry Christmas! C'mon in!

Unread postby FlyGuySLO » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Agreed, Bart. I have thought of claptrap often and wondered how he is holding up, especially on days like today. I wish nothing but good for all the people and lives connected here. Claptrap, where ever you are, you're in our thoughts.
FlyGuySLO
100+ Posts

Unread postby breaker_morant » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!

First post-divorce, and everything has gone smoothly. Son got all the Pathfinder books he wanted, and D got a combo of college things, some new headphones, and a necklace she had been eyeing. Went to a nice service yesterday, ran this morning, and opened presents. Dog is tired of wearing a Christmas sweater, so that's coming off soon.

Ex was around before Christmas, and will be after, but she's very well behaved, so that's good for everyone.

D's last Christmas before college is the only sad part, but it's the start of her next adventure.

Here's a Christmas story from when I was first married:

First Christmas after the wedding, we had a house that was more than we could afford. I had just been laid off, and we didn't know how we were going to keep the house. Wife wanted a dog, and we had beeen visiting the shelters, but we couldn't afford the house, let alone a dog. I could find a job after Christmas, but for now, we agreed to keep Christmas to a minimum until things were better.

When it came time to unwrap presents, I unwrapped a very small book. It wasn't much, but it was enough. When she opened her present, it had:

A leash, collar and a picture of Scout, the black Lab I had adopted, and we picked up the next day. We had Scout for 12 years. Best Christmas present ever.
breaker_morant
100+ Posts

Unread postby jumanji » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:20 pm

I know the party's over but got to thinking about lives touched. I often don't think about those I may have affected, but both of my kids show me different. I see the lives I touch through them.

We celebrate TDay late, in part because my oldest prepares a dinner for her friends who are disenfranchised from their families, mostly due to gender identity or sexual orientation. (She is transgender, btw). Those who can't make it on Thursday dinner often end up at my door on the weekend. It often leaves my parents rather confused, but that amuses me.

My youngest..... She's a tough nut. Really. But with such a soft, mushy heart. Her young man's Aunt lost her husband (of 50+ years) a couple of months ago. I know my girl was really looking forward to their first Christmas in their own home. What did she do instead? Offered to spend Christmas Eve and morning with the Aunt to ease the sorrow. When I spoke with her earlier today, she told me that she made a hearty breakfast and sat with Aunt during a needed cry.

We may not think we touch others, but we do - if even "only" through our kids. Just bear that in mind with everything you do/say with/to your kids. It matters and shapes them more than we realize.
jumanji
500+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:35 pm

It's in the Terms of Use for this forum:

You must have brilliant child(ren) to post here.

It's the easiest rule to enforce.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby jumanji » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Meh, they're not brilliant. (Well one actually is.) But they are good people. Which reminds me that I might not be so bad myself.

In the meantime, it's 2pm and Young Man's son is not yet there, nor is Mom answering her phone. It is his year. Youngest said she thinks they should just go try to pick him up. I agree.
jumanji
500+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Some don't have to be brilliant, like my daughter, because they have other things going for them . . .

Like singing, or not . . .
https://youtu.be/FYFVXq38dAc
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:36 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!

Thank you for touching my life as well. Oh me and my son forgot to open my present from him (his mom he is 6). After posting going to open woot woot!

Thanks again for hosting oh great one of castle that ties to the slip (Bart)!

A bottle of historic virtual bourbon of your choice.

Ok everyone a virtual toast to Bart and the forum founders and the tech team; ready on the count of one two three CHEERS!
”No is a complete sentence” Unknown
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby snafu2- » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:57 pm

Merry Christmas-Thank You for this forum!
snafu2-
First Post

Unread postby chereeda » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Adult step daughters here, about to play more Sporcle! I highly recommend Sporcle as a family activity, if you can display and play it on your tv, usually through connecting a laptop. It's got trivia games for all types of interests, even games that little ones can do successfully, such as "name these Pokémon." It's a ton of fun, all working together to solve the puzzles.

Merriest of days, everyone!

Donna
chereeda
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Bruce Banner » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:04 pm

RC411V wrote:Moana was good, kids liked it?

It wasn't bad. They are still singing the songs today :)
Bruce Banner
10+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellany