Our Technological Revolution

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Our Technological Revolution

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:16 am

The recent mention of self driving cars got me to thinking. I've watched what technology has done to my industry over the past few decades. The same as many others, more output with less labor through technological and process improvements. Those jobs are gone, they won't be back. I've watched more than a few of my ex coworkers move from skilled manufacturing careers to jobs like courier and forklift drivers. Some were able to make lateral moves to other companies only to be eliminated through the same process just a short time later.

Looking ahead, I question how sustainable this is. Consider self driving vehicles and the massive potential for societal transformation they bring. Think of all the driving jobs that will no longer be there. No truckers, cab drivers, delivery drivers, Uber drivers, bus drivers. They're unnecessary.

Consider how those changes will also effect law enforcement. No need for traffic enforcement. No funds to municipalities from traffic fines. No establishing probable cause from a failure to signal a lane change. No dui check points. Fewer mechanics needed. Fewer repair facilities. Fewer insurance adjusters. Fewer court personnel.

The job losses on this issue alone will be massive and I dont see where alternative job gains will come from. What are our citizens to do for work when the jobs simply are not there?
Fatheroffour

Re: Our Technological Revolution

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:02 am

On the other hand, Security has become a major employer. When including IT Security, a quarter of our population is providing security against the other three-quarters.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:20 pm

AI will one day take those jobs as well.

Then what?
Fatheroffour

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Sam Harris talks about paying a basic income at that point.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby a dad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Yeah, universal basic income may be the answer, as also stated by Elon Musk, and recently introduced but voted down in Finland and soon Sweden. Prince Edward Island in Canada I believe passed it. It's not like the US doesn't make money. We are the largest arms dealer in the world and we let some of the most profitable corporations pay zero taxes.

You may be interested in Stephen Hawking recently bringing this up too. And don't forget The Animatrix, which tells us this is the lead up to The Matrix.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independ ... html%3Famp

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.u ... p/36454060

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/ ... ai-on-jobs

http://thescienceexplorer.com/technolog ... aking-jobs
a dad

Unread postby gamingdad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:37 pm

Currently in the phone so can't do a in-depth Google query but...
I think the same was probably said during the time of Ford and his assembly line.
Yeah, there was a time of adjustment and higher unemployment, but Mankind adopted and found new ways to be employed.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Im not sure how applicable the analogy is considering the differences in society that now exist. Ford existed in a largely agrarian society with about 60% of the population being rural compared with 25% today. I think its a little bigger issue than buggy manufacturers needing to find a new product to sell.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby gamingdad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:22 pm

There will have to be a labor force to build a network that allows these autonomous machines to be able to travel. Upgrading our current infrastructure to meet legislative laws for safety, etc...
I think a more apt arguement would be that physical labor will be replaced by robots, where as there will be an increased need for technical works, supporting the systems that come into play.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:05 pm

"Autonomous" means there's no "network".

There are automated road building machines that take less people to do the job.

There are automated factories that build robots, 24/7, without the cost of lighting, without heating or air conditioning, no cost to defend against discrimination/misconduct/injury lawsuits, that only need to be checked on once a month.
a dad

Unread postby Trevor » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Which ones?
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Next

Return to Miscellany