Our Technological Revolution

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Re: Our Technological Revolution

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:19 pm

I'm reminded of the pilot who expressed disbelief that their job could be replaced by technology. Even after demonstrating such technology was already in use he expressed how the system wouldnt work without his unique skills and intellect.

Hubris.

Chasbo wrote:I think you are seeing now where things will go eventually .

Wider disparities in wealth. A bigger underclass. Guys like Trump tapping into the frustration. Fascism, war, communism, some other ism.

We aren't immune to societal upheavals.

Maybe after a lot of bloodshed, you get change like a universal income. I don't think it's imminent but it's not a million miles away either.

I've heard it said that as demand for those middle class manufacturing jobs decreased the demand for service type industries would increase to take their place. However, tech is threatening those jobs as well. Not only are minimum wage burger flipping jobs jobs threatened, high paying attorneys jobs and paralegal jobs are on the block as well.

http://www.rossintelligence.com/

Medical diagnoses, music creation, architecture, machine design. At the moment we're witnessing just the tip of the iceberg. The potential is amazing.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby RC611V » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:31 pm

Idiocracy man.

This goes hand in hand with the recent election results.
Only chicky dudes have signatures on internet forums.
RC611V
5K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:18 pm

To be clear, when I was talking about a ratio, I was not talking about a ratio of robots to people nor even the complete workforce. I was talking about human workers currently doing things machines can do compared to human workers fixing machines that have replaced people, regardless of how many machines we're talking about because in many cases one machine can replace multiple people. My ratio is jobs lost vs jobs gained, purely due to automation.

The humans fixing the machines will likely not be full time at one location, they'll be full time working for a robot manufacturing/fixing company that has them traveling to different locations to fix the machines, thereby servicing a greater number of machines than any one company runs.

There's also the jobs that won't necessarily be replaced soon, like R&D. But don't think most job can't get replaced eventually. The next Labor Secretary, Andrew Puzder, wants his hardees/Carls jr fast food restaurants run by machines, with zero human interaction, so changes toward automation may be welcome by the next administration. Even Carrier, who struck a deal to keep some jobs in the US, is looking to use the millions in taxpayer's money to help automate the Indiana jobs saved.

One obstacle for automation is the Unions, but so far they're unable to get a seat at the table when the next administration is cutting deals. They even get attacked for speaking up.
a dad

Unread postby gamingdad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:03 pm

I find it odd that unions can't get a seat at the table when their very own workforce is going to build the facilities that produce the automated workforce.
I don't have rose colored glasses on, by any means, but I think the adoption of automation is a few decades out before it starts to significantly impact the human workforce, and alot can happen in that time that reduces the day to day need for work, apart from automation.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Mock Turtle » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 pm

It won't be long before self-driving cars are delivering pizza to robot office parties.
γού καvνοτ βε ας ςτοοpid ας Ι αm ηνλεςς γού Ηαvε βεεη ας ςmαρτ ας Ι ψας.
Mock Turtle
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:40 pm

So you guys see dollar voting becoming hollow and ineffective?
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Do you mean like refusing to buy anything made in China to protest against cheap imported goods?

That kind of protest?
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Trevor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:00 pm

As soon as I posted that I reminded myself of the walmartization of the economy where people dollar vote for the cheapest < feces >, even if it costs the same American jobs they ostensibly voted in November to protect.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby a dad » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:58 am

Mock Turtle wrote:It won't be long before self-driving cars are delivering pizza to robot office parties.

Domino's Is Now Testing Its Self-Driving Vehicle

And what goes good with pizza?

Uber’s Self-Driving Truck Makes Its First Delivery: 50,000 Beers
a dad

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:19 am

gamingdad wrote:I find it odd that unions can't get a seat at the table when their very own workforce is going to build the facilities that produce the automated workforce.
I don't have rose colored glasses on, by any means, but I think the adoption of automation is a few decades out before it starts to significantly impact the human workforce, and alot can happen in that time that reduces the day to day need for work, apart from automation.

Not rose colored glasses. You're wearing blinders. I dont understand how one could conclude that automation hasnt already been adopted. Its already been adopted and the push is on to automate as many processes as technologically possible.The impact already has been substantial.

As Hardees CEO is quoted as saying

"They're always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there's never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex, or race discrimination case," says Puzder of swapping employees for machines.
Fatheroffour

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellany