Our Technological Revolution

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Re: Our Technological Revolution

Unread postby a dad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:22 pm

At least 1000:1

More likely 100,000:1
a dad

Unread postby gamingdad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:25 pm

I'm not educated enough to make that determination, but a quick search did show me this:

Japan and Korea have the most robots per manufacturing employee, over 300 per 10,000 employees, with Germany following at over 250 per 10,000 employees. The United States has less than half the robots per 10,000 employees compared to Japan and The Republic of Korea. The adoption rate of robots measured in number of robots per 10,000 employees in manufacturing between 2008 and 2011 is on the rise. It increased in this period by 40% in Brazil, by 210% in China, by 11% in Germany, by 57% in The Republic of Korea, and by 41% in the United States. The study describes how the adoption of robots is a relatively new development in Chinese manufacturing. Germany, which has proportionately many more robots than the United States, has achieved higher economic growth with almost no reduction in manufacturing employment.

http://www.ifr.org/news/ifr-press-relea ... -jobs-469/
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby quantum » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 pm

I think computer industry which was beleived to render many jobless few decades ago has created more jobs than it took away
Moving forward with distress behind!
quantum
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:43 pm

gamingdad, I'm not really interested in interpreting your google searches and making assumptions about what you think it means. I'm interested in what kind of future the forum members believe is in store for us.

I think its apparent that you havent really given this issue much consideration. Nothing wrong with that as its not a subject commonly brought up.

What challenges, if any, do you think "technology", meaning anything from lean manufacturing systematic process improvement to replacing live workers with automated machinery, will present our culture and country? How do you think society will attempt to address them?

I think computer industry which was beleived to render many jobless few decades ago has created more jobs than it took away

Probably so. The printing press rendered the scribe unnecessary. The inkjet print head has done a number on the printing press.

It was often heard repeated during the last election cycle that the highest percentage of people in recorded time were out of the workforce. I offer that it is advances in technology that have allowed that to happen without the country falling apart. Its also a trend that will continue, with fewer and fewer people having to be in the work force to maintain a basic standard of living for all.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby gamingdad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:42 pm

Adapt. Or fall behind.
There are your challenges.

When the numbers say anywhere from .025-5% have been displaced by technology, that is no concern for running around screaming the sky has fallen despite some fellow workers being made obsolete.

How many President's have made education a platform? Certainly your not just now coming to this realization that in order to remain relevant in the workforce, that an individual's toolbag needs to be upgraded, are you?

I've been in the technology industry for only 17 years, but I can tell you that I've been quiet aware of the transition that is occurring, and have managed to go from flipping burgers to print advertising to system administration all the while being mindful of where the trends are moving to.
So if you don't want to look at actual numbers, ok, no problem, continue on shouting at the wind.
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby gamingdad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:58 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:Im not sure how applicable the analogy is considering the differences in society that now exist. Ford existed in a largely agrarian society with about 60% of the population being rural compared with 25% today. I think its a little bigger issue than buggy manufacturers needing to find a new product to sell.

Ah, I see the confusion. I was referencing how Ford helped revolutionize the production line with conveyors and belts (analog robots if you will).
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:23 am

Wow, Darwinian social philosophy, I can see you have given it a lot of thought during the commercial breaks.

Adapt. Or fall behind.
There are your challenges.

You misinterpret my question.

In what ways will society and culture have to adapt when not only so many methods of production are automated but services as well? Congratulations on your graduation from burger flipper. Its a well worn path by many. What happens when the burger flipping job is automated and those entry level jobs are not there? Start in print advertising? How about after AI takes most of those jobs? What then?

How many President's have made education a platform? Certainly your not just now coming to this realization that in order to remain relevant in the workforce, that an individual's toolbag needs to be upgraded, are you?

Again, part of the question is what work will be available if the present trends continue? What are all those drivers going to be doing in the future as theres only so many systems to administrate.

The first technological revolution took the farmer out of the field and put them on the factory. The second will take them out of the factory and put them...
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Chasbo » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:36 am

I think you are seeing now where things will go eventually .

Wider disparities in wealth. A bigger underclass. Guys like Trump tapping into the frustration. Fascism, war, communism, some other ism.

We aren't immune to societal upheavals.

Maybe after a lot of bloodshed, you get change like a universal income. I don't think it's imminent but it's not a million miles away either.
Chasbo
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby gamingdad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:26 am

Netflix. No commercials. Wanna use my login?
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby RC611V » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:55 am

That's illegal dude.

( :lol: )
Only chicky dudes have signatures on internet forums.
RC611V
5K+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellany