Multiple children- Do you have a favorite- Poll

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

To parents with multiple children, do you have a favorite?

Yes
46%
No
31%
What a horrible question to ask.
15%
I don't like any of them
8%

Total votes : 13

Multiple children- Do you have a favorite- Poll

Postby Fatheroffour » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Uncomfortable question for many parents.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Patiently waiting for 2025.
Fatheroffour

Re: Multiple children- Do you have a favorite- Poll

Postby jamessick » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Only two answers apply. Yes, or you don't like any of them.

Favoritism occurs. I have four and I LOVE them all the same. I don't necessarily LIKE them the same though. My youngest just joined football. I'm so proud of how hard he's worked for this that he is my current favorite. Sometimes my middle son, the brainiac is my favorite. My little girl is the sunshine in my world. My oldest IS me so often it's frightening. They all occupy the favorite spot. That's not a bad thing.
I am a dad. It is not a simple title, nor a professional position. It is a aggressively defended FACT!
jamessick
1K+ Posts

Postby MMF » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:25 pm

I can't say overall I have a favorite. I have days where I prefer over the others but I think that's pretty normal. All my kids have their own personalities and quirks and depending on the day they either make me laugh or get on my nerves.
I've lost many battles, but I will win the war.
MMF
1K+ Posts

Postby NewReality » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:43 pm

I struggled with this when we were thinking about having our 2nd. I worried that I couldn't possibly love another kid as much as I do this one.

I'll also say, that while the 2nd and 3rd were infants (1 year apart), it was difficult because I was enjoying the connection that growing with my 1st as she was growing into her personality, while the other two were just non-cognizant blobs. More worries.

That's all history. Now I honestly couldn't say I have anything like a favorite or even a greater affinity for one versus the others. I love their individual personalities and traits regardless of how similar they are to my own, and focus on enjoying who they are and what they love pretty much equally. I couldn't imagine feeling differently about any of them in a "greater than" sort of way.
NewReality
100+ Posts

Postby defaultuser » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:51 pm

I've only got two and I can say I love them both all the way. I really enjoy how they are different and I treat them differently, but there is no favorite.

That may change when they grow up some more and start treating me badly. I'm hoping that won't happen.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby Fatheroffour » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:02 pm

There was an interesting article in Time on this issue several months ago.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 71,00.html

One of the most interesting points, IMO, was on the topic of how favoritism is hardwired into our DNA.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Patiently waiting for 2025.
Fatheroffour

Postby minuette » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Yes, my favorite is my 16-year-old. She can feed, bathe and clothe herself, is helpful around the house, is interesting to converse with and doesn't wake me up at 5am asking for breakfast and Dora.

Once her siblings (2 and 4) reach the age of the eldest, I doubt there will be a favorite to pick any longer. They are each pretty dang cool in their own way.
Audentis Fortuna juvat ~ Virgil, The Aeneid
minuette
1K+ Posts

Return to Miscellany