Would you go to this Cafe'

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Re: Would you go to this Cafe'

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 pm

There is no gender wage gap, not here or there.

Diversity initiatives are a joke. I've been working for large corps my entire adult life and from what I've experienced none of them have ever cared what make and model you are. All they care about is if you can do the job and if you can do it for the price their offering to pay you. Now with these diversity initiatives we have to hire you because you are the right make and model, your abilities in being able to do the job become meaningless.
I type butter on mah phon
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:03 pm

You should publish your research and set all those misinformed researchers straight.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Outis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:21 pm

Funniest thing I've seen lately is outrage over Mozilla saying they're going to help fight fake news.

Climate change, gender wage gap, gender identity, and so much more - and yet there's outrage over an effort to fight it?
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby MegaDad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am

I will add an addendum to my earlier post.

I can understand offering discounts to drum up business. I can even understand limiting those discounts to certain people because the presence of those people also drum up business. I am also all for voluntary overpayment in the interest of charitable causes.

I am not a fan of any establishment that would proudly say they will charge a certain group MORE simply because of the circumstances of their birth, even if that group is not obligated to. To me it's no different than charging Asian men 20% more in a café here in the U.S, as Asian men typically make about that much more than the next highest earning group. If one's interest is promoting equality I can think of many more effective ways than this. This is just divisive, as evidenced by the reactions around the world. Or it's just a PR stunt, in which case I applaud their success.

I'll keep my thoughts on the gender pay gap for another day.
MegaDad
100+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:57 am

MegaDad wrote: This is just divisive, as evidenced by the reactions around the world. Or it's just a PR stunt, in which case I applaud their success.

Maybe the difference between the two is your perspective, as evidenced by your willingness to applaud it.
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 am

Apparently, it isn't the action, it's the presentation.
Or maybe it's the motivation.

Odd.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby MegaDad » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 am

Well sure, depending on one's perspective that will affect what they see as the reality of the situation. I don't think it's required to like someone's business plans in order to at least acknowledge the money-making potential of the idea. I don't care for businesses that use scantily clad women as an enticement to frequent said businesses, but I certainly acknowledge it brings the fellas in. Same thing with this café. I don't like how they are doing it but I recognize it's press for them.

FOF, are you saying presentation and motivation behind an action are not as important as the action itself? Not trying to troll, legit asking. You often make solid points with few words but I need a bit of help with that one.
MegaDad
100+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:26 am

Presentation and motivation can certainly be important factors but I dont think they are more important than the action itself.

They charge men more because they hate men.
They charge men more for the publicity the action generates.

Their motivation doesnt really matter if they have the best cup of coffee you've ever tasted and want to purchase it. Motivation has zero effect on the action itself.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:34 am

Remember, they don't actually charge men more. They request a donation.

Is the outrage because of their motivation?
Fatheroffour

Unread postby a dad » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Auto insurers charge teenage boys more than girls.

Not optional.
a dad

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellany