When to go to court for support reduction In CA?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: When to go to court for support reduction In CA?

Unread postby Kuuner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:45 pm

I'll try and get better at figuring out how to reply to the specific poster without quoting the original post...
Kuuner
50+ Posts

Unread postby dad2grls » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Kuuner wrote:I'll try and get better at figuring out how to reply to the specific poster without quoting the original post...

You can simply delete the text between the quotes that you don't want to included, up to and including all of it.
dad2grls
100+ Posts

Unread postby Kuuner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Got it. Thanks for the tip.
Kuuner
50+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Or you can simply craft your responses to make it clear to which point/poster you're responding.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby quantum » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 pm

I am in CA. My spousal terminated soon after her remarriage. My attorney informed me about ex marrying again officially and asked me to stop giving spousal support. We didn't have to go to court to terminate it. How did you come to know your ex is getting married? If she isn't keeping it a secret, I would just send a note that I will be stop paying spousal support due to remarriage. Keep in mind when spousal support terminates, CS increases. There is a calculator on department of child support and you can use it to run various scenarios.
Moving forward with distress behind!
quantum
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Kuuner » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 am

@quantum - My kids told me. My kids showed my girlfriend the "announcement" on line, on social media (They have an excellent relationship with my GF). I don't go on line to look at that kind of stuff so, while its 3rd party hearsay, the photos of them (Shown to me) trying on wedding dresses is pretty compelling evidence. They have a date. Family flying in from out of town, etc..

I don't have an attorney at this juncture so I'm going to have to go it on my own but, I'm confident I'll have to go to court considering my support is withheld via garnishment/wage order. My oldest turns 18 three days before the wedding so I assume that while my CS will go up, it will be offset somewhat (Hopefully) by the removal of one of the kids and the SS of the ex.
Kuuner
50+ Posts

Unread postby TJinCA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Under the CA Family Code (section 4337), spousal support automatically ends on remarriage of the supported spouse, unless the decree specifically says that it doesn't. The decree does not have to say that it terminates, although this is a good idea. In any event, there's no need to go to court to terminate spousal support, you can just stop paying once you're sure the marriage has taken place.

Does your decree specify what the CS amount will be after the oldest turns 18? If so, you should be able to just start paying that amount and not have to go to court for that either.

If not, you'll need to go to court to get CS modified. If it were me I'd not bring up the fact that your spousal support obligation has ended--I'd leave it up to her to raise that issue, and hope that maybe she won't.

More than likely the court will figure it out in recalculating CS, but no need for you to go out of your way to bring it to their attention. You might get lucky.
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I should add that my current support is through a wage order so, it's not like I can just stop paying. It comes out automatically on the 1st and the 15th.

There isn't an "Agency" collection, there was (is) a wager order for a garnishment filed through Family Court for SS and CS. Way back in the day, it was decided that it was best for it to just come out of my check twice a month than to rely on me to pay it twice a month.

Under the circumstances he's going to have to go to court to make the adjustments.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Previous

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On