First R3 - Health Insurance Coverage

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: First R3 - Health Insurance Coverage

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 am

yes @trev.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby HaltAndCatchFire » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:34 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:I think the issue here is that your employer's HR policy isnt relevant to whether or not she herself possesses the documentation that they require. One issue you have is that you dont state exactly it is that you are requesting. While a paycheck stub may show the deduction taken for insurance you seem to be asking for a confirmation letter stating the exact date of the start of coverage. Is that what you are requesting?

I summarized in my initial post, but next time I'll be more pedantic. In order to process a qualified life event (dependent gains insurance coverage through spouse's employer), specific supporting documentation must be submitted. In this particular case, that documentation is a letter from employer or carrier(s) listing name of the individual(s) affected, the type of coverage(s) gained and the effective date of coverage(s). This information was provided to the mother repeatedly via OFW before I sent her seeking relief message.

Starting off so soon after the divorce with the threats of "relief from the court" sets the tone for the foreseeable future. If it will whip her in shape and scare her into compliance, congratulations. You know her better than me.

I reasonably requested she provide this information three times before I escalated to the "relief from the court" language. She complied within 16 hours of receiving my escalation message. While not the ideal path, I got the outcome I desired. And it's a good thing too. As I suspected, her coverage started on the day her employment did (yes, that's a rarity these days). The day I sent her the note was the final day that the life event could be submitted. While I was technically 8 hours past the window when my HR team would process this qualified life event, I politely requested grace since I was so close to the cutoff. Thankfully, I got lucky and they approved the life event change.

Completely agree with your assessment of recovering those costs if the life event change had been declined.

Apologies for being absent from this thread, but I've been recovering from the flu.
The only way out is through.
HaltAndCatchFire
100+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:37 pm

Apologies for being absent from this thread, but I've been recovering from the flu.

Do you have a doctor's note? We're going to need a doctor's note.

Glad you got it taken care of.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Thankfully, I got lucky and they approved the life event change.

The same thing happened to me twice. They got you jumping , you missed the deadline and they processed the paperwork. Happens all the time, good thing your ex is easily intimidated.
Fatheroffour

Previous

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On