First R3 - Health Insurance Coverage

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

First R3 - Health Insurance Coverage

Unread postby HaltAndCatchFire » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 am

Decree stipulates the mother will cover the cost of health insurance for the minor children, and I will reimburse her half. It's been nearly 30 days since she started a new job, so I sent the following via OFW:

I have not yet received the required documentation from you in order to remove the children from my health insurance. I need to provide the documentation to my health insurance provider within 30 days of your health insurance coverage starting for them. If I do not receive the documentation within time to remove them from my health insurance, then I will seek relief from the court.

The details of the required documentation we're provided to her weeks ago.

I followed the prescribed format of problem statement, remedy statement, relief statement and kept it BIFF: brief, informative, friendly, firm. My XW is calling me a bully; I don't care what she thinks. Is this an effective invitation to dialogue if read by a judge, or did I blow it? I welcome your perspective. Given her past behavior, I'm sure this won't be the last time I have to write an 'R3'.
The only way out is through.
HaltAndCatchFire
100+ Posts

Re: First R3 - Health Insurance Coverage

Unread postby afc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 am

So she has 30 days and you sending her a mail before the 30 days is up is to accomplish what exactly?

Just some kind of reminder?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 am

If my ex sent me such a letter under such circumstances, I'd yank her chain.

Just sayin
Fatheroffour

Unread postby HaltAndCatchFire » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 am

Life events have a 30 day window to be submitted to my HR team with the required documentation. If the mother fails to provide me the documentation of her new coverage for the children in time, then I'll continue to pay for health insurance for the children for the remainder of this year which is a cost of $3500.

If this wasn't the most effective method to get the desired outcome, then what would you suggest is a better way?
The only way out is through.
HaltAndCatchFire
100+ Posts

Unread postby dad2grls » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm

If she doesn't reply then send this:"If I don't notify my company's HR dept by xx date I will be required to purchased health insurance for the remainder of this year at a cost of $3500, please provide proof of health insurance through your company by xx date so I may notify HR"

If she doesn't respond, and it's close to the deadline, then followup with a certified letter or email (receipt requested) stating that you will hold her responsible for the difference between what you would have paid her and the $3500 it will be costing you as a result of her failing to provide proof of adequate coverage.

If time is short then send both of them in a combined registered letter or email.
There is nothing more permanent than a temporary order
dad2grls
100+ Posts

Unread postby gamingdad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:15 pm

What if she has a 6 week trial period? Or a 3 month trial period?
How would you then word a letter for splitting the $3500?
Check with HR on what qualifies as a life event.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 am

I think the issue here is that your employer's HR policy isnt relevant to whether or not she herself possesses the documentation that they require. One issue you have is that you dont state exactly it is that you are requesting. While a paycheck stub may show the deduction taken for insurance you seem to be asking for a confirmation letter stating the exact date of the start of coverage. Is that what you are requesting?

She's at a new job. Likely unwilling to start making demands so that she can get the paperwork you need right now....and so on and so on. It doesnt take much to spin a reasonable story on why you dont get what your HR department is requiring of you.

Starting off so soon after the divorce with the threats of "relief from the court" sets the tone for the foreseeable future. If it will whip her in shape and scare her into compliance, congratulations. You know her better than me.

Like I said, if my ex sent me that I'd yank her chain to remind her that her sphere of influence is limited.

If she gets it to you 2 weeks late and your employer forces a years coverage upon you, good luck in collecting any portion of reimbursement from her. If you do, it will be entirely voluntary on her part.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:26 am

Do I detect a coveyism?
Fatheroffour wrote:if my ex sent me that I'd yank her chain to remind her that her sphere of influence is limited.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 am

I don't know what that is.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 am

Stephen Covey-ism
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Next