Change of Physician and insurance

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 pm

Forget about the money, Bro. In this game, $120 every 3 mos is pocket change.

The real question is this: "Is S-10 making improvement with his current psych??"
Because if he is, changing doctors at this juncture of S-10's treatment, not to mention his age, will likely have long-term (unknown) effects down the road. Are you willing to risk that??

Bottom line: At issue here is S-10's best interest.

Tx295 wrote:She's a control freak when it comes to the psych. The kid has been to 4 different ones in 2 years... This would make 5 if we switch. I think she sees it as an opportunity to make another change for whatever her reason is.
It's called doctor shopping. And IMHO, your ex is doing it to fulfil her own prophecy: I know something's wrong with this kid and I'm gonna find a doctor who'll tell me what it is.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts
 
Posts: 7740
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby astrolink » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:20 am

I doubt it matters whom his psychiatrist is. With quarterly visits, it's mainly to determine if medication adjustments are necessary.

A therapist change would be of concern.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:54 am

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby Tx295 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:28 am

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:Forget about the money, Bro. In this game, $120 every 3 mos is pocket change.

The real question is this: "Is S-10 making improvement with his current psych??"
Because if he is, changing doctors at this juncture of S-10's treatment, not to mention his age, will likely have long-term (unknown) effects down the road. Are you willing to risk that??

Bottom line: At issue here is S-10's best interest.

Tx295 wrote:She's a control freak when it comes to the psych. The kid has been to 4 different ones in 2 years... This would make 5 if we switch. I think she sees it as an opportunity to make another change for whatever her reason is.
It's called doctor shopping. And IMHO, your ex is doing it to fulfil her own prophecy: I know something's wrong with this kid and I'm gonna find a doctor who'll tell me what it is.

Tom


S10 is stable and doing very well with his current psych. My gut feeling is that she is "doctor shopping." The current psych is reluctant to make a change to his meds because he is doing well in school and at my home. The ex reports he struggles at her house in the afternoon/evening. His pediatrician is concerned about a lack of weight gain over the last two years.

The ex-wife insists that his dose needs to be increased because of the "struggles" he has at her house.

astrolink wrote:I doubt it matters whom his psychiatrist is. With quarterly visits, it's mainly to determine if medication adjustments are necessary.

A therapist change would be of concern.


You're spot on. Because he has been doing so well we only visit quarterly. Again, the ex insists on increasing his dose at every visit. What she reports at her home is all she is going on as the basis for an adjustment. The current psych doesn't seem to be buying it.

I think she's trying to find one that will do whatever she wants. She intentionally schedules visits on her days and she loses her mind if I show up to the appointment. She's rescheduled psych appointments last minute and refused to tell me. It's the only physician she behaves this way with.
Tx295
10+ Posts
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:23 am

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby Broken Machine » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 am

I agree with the others to eat the entire cost since the number of visits is low and the $240 spread across the entire year is small. It sounds like your son is doing good with the current doctor. It is in his best interest that changing the doctor would disrupt his progress. Especially since you said that if this change occurs it will be the fifth one in a short period of time.

You can of course still try to talk to your ex and see if something can get worked out. But be prepared for the "worst case scenario" of shouldering 100% of the cost. Not sure what exactly is going through your ex's head but then again...does it really matter? If the current doctor is doing good for the kid, then do what is necessary to keep the doctor. If your son is doing worse at your ex's then that is her problem.

A concern I have is that if you decide to keep your current doctor, your ex might "disagree" and invoke that part in your decree saying that both of you need to give consent. But you also have status quo and prior consent on your side. I'm not a legal expert so I am not sure how what I just said will play out.
Broken Machine
100+ Posts
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:35 am

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby TJinCA » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am

Broken Machine wrote:A concern I have is that if you decide to keep your current doctor, your ex might "disagree" and invoke that part in your decree saying that both of you need to give consent. But you also have status quo and prior consent on your side. I'm not a legal expert so I am not sure how what I just said will play out.


I think the answer to that is to go back to the judge, explain that failure to agree and the terms of the present order are preventing the kid from getting proper and necessary treatment - sole legal custody (or at least sole authority to make medical decisions) to dad is in the best interest of the child.
TJinCA
100+ Posts
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby madalex » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:10 am

Let me see if I have this right: son has been seeing the doctor every three months for 1.5 years (so what is that - six visits?). But, it's critical that he keep seeing the same guy. So, instead of just eating the extra $240 and sending him to the existing doctor, you are going to engage with mom about this so you can "prove" that mom's actions are all about control and not money.

You're not focused on what is best for your son; you just want to stay entangled with mom.
madalex
500+ Posts
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Tx295 wrote:The ex-wife insists that his dose needs to be increased because of the "struggles" he has at her house.
That's right!! Medicate the hell out of him 'til NJ gets results that meet her ever-changing expectations. That's what doctor shopping is all about.

You're gonna hafta put the brakes on this, Bro. S-10 is counting on you.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts
 
Posts: 7740
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby Tx295 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 pm

madalex wrote:Let me see if I have this right: son has been seeing the doctor every three months for 1.5 years (so what is that - six visits?). But, it's critical that he keep seeing the same guy. So, instead of just eating the extra $240 and sending him to the existing doctor, you are going to engage with mom about this so you can "prove" that mom's actions are all about control and not money.

You're not focused on what is best for your son; you just want to stay entangled with mom.


Nope, you missed the mark. S10 saw the current psych 1-2 times a month starting 1.5 years ago. At the time the psych was an in-network provider. For the last year he has been visiting quarterly since his progress is positive and stable. In September the psych stopped accepting ALL insurance. At the time we agreed to continue seeing the current psych. Now all of a sudden the ex wants him to see someone else.

If the financial barrier is removed for her, partially or completely, and she still objects to the current doc then her intent is obvious. Both of us must consent for psychiatric care. Regardless a discussion has to occur with her to select a psychiatrist since, at the moment, she is objecting to him continuing to see the current psych.
Tx295
10+ Posts
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:23 am

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Tx295 wrote:.....and she still objects to the current doc.....
By chance, is she invoking women's prerogative?? Didn't she agree to this doctor 1½ yrs ago??

Tx295 wrote:S10 saw the current psych 1-2 times a month starting 1.5 years ago.....For the last year he has been visiting quarterly since his progress is positive and stable.
If this goes to court, not only do you have established status quo, you also have best interest (that's what matters most). S-10 is making progress, hence the quarterly visits.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts
 
Posts: 7740
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Change of Physician and insurance

Unread postby Tx295 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 am

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:By chance, is she invoking women's prerogative?? Didn't she agree to this doctor 1½ yrs ago??

If this goes to court, not only do you have established status quo, you also have best interest (that's what matters most). S-10 is making progress, hence the quarterly visits.

Tom


It quite possible. She agreed we would continue to use the same doctor after he stopped accepting insurance as well. All of a sudden it’s an issue because of the cost
Tx295
10+ Posts
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:23 am

PreviousNext

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests