14 months after divorce

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

14 months after divorce

Unread postby justin76 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 am

Our no fault divorce decree was final in October 2017 and i awarded the property to my ex. There were no kids.
Now in december 2018 my ex in anger and jelousy saying me that she will go to court and tell them that it was a forced divorce or she signed the paper without reading it and will also claim the house i bought after divorce and business before marrying her.
Is there any logic in it? will she succeed in giving that problem in anger and jelousy of i am living happily again with my wife and a new born cute kid?
will court listen to her after 14 months of final divorce decree?
justin76
First Post

Re: 14 months after divorce

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:18 am

Logic? Sounds like she is pissed you had a side chick that you promoted quickly. Luckily there are no kids, but her threats of saying it was forced are exactly that, just threats.

Did you bring that on yourself? 100%. If in fact you decided the courts, not certain you aren't exposed.

Does she have a leg to stand on? Only if she wants to commit fraud. I'm not sure the exact state, but in MA, the judge ALWAYS asks before signing off on divorce (under oath) if they signed it of their own free will.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 am

The case can be reopened only if she can show fraud, like if there were undisclosed assets or something like that.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby SoxFan1986 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 am

If you got no kids together, just get a new phone number and walkway...your a free man!
SoxFan1986
100+ Posts

Unread postby dad2grls » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 am

Given your rather brief summary I will offer the following:

Your wife can certainly sue you and drag you into court and try to convince a court she signed under duress or whatever. She's got an uphill battle, the odds are in your favor that she will not prevail, but you never know. Either way it will cost you in terms of the stress of returning to court, legal fees if you have representation and lost time from work.

She would have no claim to property you purchased after the divorce unless she could prove you used funds that she was entitled to but did not receive at settlement either due to fraud- primarily failure to disclose assets, or again signing an unfair agreement under duress or whatever. If you know you hid assets and she's figured it out then you do have a problem. If not, then again odds are she's just blowing smoke.

I'll also comment on you being married with a child only a year after your divorce was final. Bad move on so many levels including poking the bear- things are still raw with exwife and that's probably why she's firing back- she sees you moving on and she's being resentful and spiteful. Even leaving the ex out of it- I will never understand why a guy who gets out of a bad marriage is so quick to jump right back into another one as if things will magically be so much better the first time around. And bringing a child into it so early on? Damn. People can be their own worst enemies. Good luck man you're going to need it.
dad2grls
100+ Posts

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On