Therapy for Kids

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: Therapy for Kids

Unread postby Chaos » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:48 pm

The stigma exists because of comments like yours.

Parents don't always have the skills to fix every problem. That's why we have professionals.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:51 pm

You're missing my points.

1. Don't put the kid into therapy unless the behavior is egregiously problematic. In this case, it's not. Get the parents to a professional if they need it, so they can execute a plan to guide the child through the rough patch.

2. I am referring to the stigma that'll get the kid taunted and bullied on the playground.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby afc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:55 pm

I have to agree with Chaos here. Getting some help from people who can help is not a bad thing. It's not a huge deal with physical ailments or music lessons or lots of crap yet there is this block when it comes to psychological help.

Why would the kids at school know theyre going to a counselor? And with all the kids with IEPs, learning disorders, autism, etc why would one kid going to talk stuff out with their parents be signaled out?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm not advocating for this child to go to therapy. I don't know anything about this kid. I'm suggesting its worth researching if the issue is effecting their daily life.

I put my kid in therapy and we both learned a lot. Mostly I learned how much I don't know about how a kid processes things.

Either way, he has never been bullied or taunted over it. That's a really weak reason not to take advantage of an available resource to improve your child's life skills, if your child could benefit from it.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Kids talk. They aren't always aware of what things to mention to friends and which ones not to. You never heard a kid talk about stuff going on in their homes when you were a child? Come on, man.

You are missing the point that the kid isn't cutting him/herself or taking drugs. They're petulant, not a danger.

Seriously, you guys can't see this point? This isn't a zero-tolerance situation.
Trevor

Unread postby afc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:14 pm

I think when this happens
"My ex thinks our 8yr has trouble coping with anger, but that has been the case for a bit and isn't a horrible thing. She throws temper tantrums, mainly when she is tired."

One parent thinks it is typical and no big deal and another thinks it is a problem that will get her in trouble later in life (temper tantrums on 8 year olds - no big deal. On 13 year olds - bigger problem) then having the kid looked at by someone who isnt related to her and doesnt love her can't hurt.

Parents dont usually have the same perception the world does. They can think their little baby is so cute and just upset but the world sees a problem or they can awfulize their kids and the world thinks it's no big deal.

The parents arent on the same page with her so the kid will have different rules and expectations depending on the parent. And that's confusing. And for a smart kid, when the parents arent on the same page that's a great opportunity to manipulate.

What's the problem with getting some outsider eyes to look at how the kid handles things when she's pissed off?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:28 pm

I think it's a difference in perspective. I understand where you're coming from. If we assume a kid has to hit rock bottom before we should consider therapy, and we perpetuate that to other kids, then yeah, your concerns would make sense.

But that's very 20 years ago so we aren't going to do that.

Therapy should not be a last resort. It's proactive education, not hospital and meds.

OP look into CBT techniques for kids. Do some research on what you can do for your child at home. It should be in every parents arsenal anyway.
Chaos

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

I didn't say a kid has to hit rock bottom - stop reading words that aren't there.

This kid's hair isn't even wet, let alone drowning (or hitting rock bottom).

In the arsenal? Sure. Surgery is in the arsenal for a splinter, too.
Trevor

Unread postby lionel2013 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Therapy should not be a last resort. It's proactive education, not hospital and meds.

A last resort for what, what is the problem with the kids? Tantrums? Meds, what for?

I think you are completely missing the point, I suggest you read the OP's initial statements again. In his view the kids' behavior are a non-issue, to them the divorce is a non-issue [for now]. So, why are you insisting that they go through therapy?
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:19 pm

lionel2013 wrote:

A last resort for what, what is the problem with the kids? Tantrums? Meds, what for?

I think you are completely missing the point, I suggest you read the OP's initial statements again. In his view the kids' behavior are a non-issue, to them the divorce is a non-issue [for now]. So, why are you insisting that they go through therapy?

Or maybe you should read through mine. This is starting to be a consistent problem with you.

Chaos wrote:I'm not advocating for this child to go to therapy. I don't know anything about this kid. I'm suggesting its worth researching if the issue is effecting their daily life.
Chaos

PreviousNext

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On