Anonymous letter to work?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Anonymous letter to work?

Unread postby ScaredNConfused » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:30 pm

So recently my manager pulled me aside and let me know that there was an anonymous letter sent to an executive of our company claiming to be from a co-worker. The letter talked about how they were scared to work with me and that I'm explosively violent. It went on for about a page, luckily there were enough signs in the letter that it no one at my work believes it came from co-worker. The only person who has ever claimed I'm angry and violent is my ex.

Work is taking no action aside from documenting that the letter was received. I had to speak with one of our corporate attorneys who handle this sort of things and she had practiced family law for about 10 years before moving out of family law and said she has seen this stuff before.

Realistically I "know" who sent this or at least had it sent, but I can't prove it.

My lawyer suggested filing a police report, which I'm not sure about. She also said to say nothing to my ex and hope at some point my ex slips up and implicates herself.

What are people's thoughts on filing a police report, I dropped by the police station by my home and they said I had to file in the city the letter was sent to. I guess I just don't see anything coming of a report in that there isn't any evidence besides an envelope and a printed letter. At this point all I have is a scan of the letter and envelope.
ScaredNConfused
100+ Posts

Re: Anonymous letter to work?

Unread postby Trevor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:17 pm

HR would be the only consultation that I would do, as this is a civil, not a criminal matter. They will have record of any actual, internal complaints, and have the power to investigate them. Was this company lawyer speaking on behalf of HR?

I don't know how a police report would do you any good.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Was it written or typed?
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Trevor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Possible presence of DNA on the envelope seal (not suggesting this is a step you should take).
Trevor

Unread postby grandet2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Definitely civil action, that is quite harassing. Are you feeling threatened? Scared? - hint hint.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandet2
100+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:55 pm

Seems you missed the "anonymous" part of the OP, grandie.
Trevor

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:15 pm

There's nothing you can do about that letter. But in this game, it's important that you save every scrap of evidence - even notes on a paper napkin. Nothing gets thrown out. Thou shalt file everything. Nothing gets misplaced. You never know if, or when, you'll need it.

Back in the day, I had a threatening letter hand written to me. I found out who it was by comparing hand writings with those on old Christmas cards - not that I could do anything about it, mind you. Nevertheless, the lesson here is to know thine enemy.

Tom
Like football, family court is a game of inches. A John Madden strategy
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:33 pm

You saved old Christmas cards in the hopes that in some future time, you'd need to compare handwriting on them? [Rhet.]
Trevor

Unread postby Campfire » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:46 pm

There is no reason for this to ever be associated with you because you can guarantee they will use this against you in the future if they so choose.

They need to expunge this issue. Maybe one more short conversation with the company attorney to explain how concerned you are about this (*cough* employment attorney).
The List: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/father_divor ... hp?t=13374

The question is how much conflict you can control, negate, or avoid.
Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby ScaredNConfused » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Trevor wrote:HR would be the only consultation that I would do, as this is a civil, not a criminal matter. They will have record of any actual, internal complaints, and have the power to investigate them. Was this company lawyer speaking on behalf of HR?

I don't know how a police report would do you any good.

That was my thoughts on this. I've never had a complaint of any sort of violence or anger, it is actually the opposite. I've had people I work with comment on how angry and upset they would be with the last two years. Not that I'm happy, but what good would it do to scream at people and be bitter. Better to handle things with my therapist.

And yes, the lawyer is attached to our HR department.

Fatheroffour wrote:Was it written or typed?

Letter itself was typed. The addressing was hand written and doesn't resemble my ex's at all. I highly suspect that it is my ex's mother.

Trevor wrote:You saved old Christmas cards in the hopes that in some future time, you'd need to compare handwriting on them? [Rhet.]

Funny enough, I was looking at the pile of cards recently and asking myself if I should keep them. I decided that yes I was going to keep them. Writing doesn't match the cards at all.

Seems like the general strategy is keep evidence, don't make a big deal of it, and police report is useless right now.
ScaredNConfused
100+ Posts

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On