Logistics of splitting up household possessions

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: Logistics of splitting up household possessions

Unread postby ScaredNConfused » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 pm

For me the arbitrator stipulated the process. I was allowed to walk through our house and document everything I was claiming. My ex was allowed to walk through my apartment and document everything she was claiming :roll:

We were supposed to exchange the lists that day and any items that were in dispute we would do a round robin selection of with flipping a coin to see who went first on the day I retrieved everything of mine from the house. I had previously agreed to leave the kids furniture, clothes, toys, etc. with her since I had already bought that stuff for them. Once she did finally provide her list, she tried to claim things that never existed.

Typical of my ex, she failed to provide any list for a week and then added things at a later point. It mostly worked out, she still has a few of my irreplaceable possessions and mediation at the end of the month will either resolve that or the follow-up contempt will.

I still like the idea of the round robin coin flip, but with the exception I put above we were able to make trades of disputed things.
ScaredNConfused
100+ Posts

Unread postby HaltAndCatchFire » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:16 am

After providing her my asset division proposal and asking for her feedback weekly for the past six weeks, she finally responded. After some minimal back and forth for clarification, the list is finalized. Nothing like 11th hour agreements, since tomorrow would have triggered our binding arbitration stipulation. Completely agree with the advice that "next years model will be better" so I only focused on the few things that really mattered to me.

QDRO is finalized, so she has the funds for a house. However, she's completely clueless that it takes 50 days on average to close on a house once she finds one, so I'm coming up with a plan when she fails to move out of the marital residence by the deadline in March. If I had to execute a plan tomorrow, it would be putting her stuff in the garage and changing the door locks but not the garage codes.
The only way out is through.
HaltAndCatchFire
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm

I would have all those items ready for her in the garage and OFW her the day/time she can pick them up. If she doesn't, place them in some sort of storage. I don't agree with letting her back on your property if she has to move back out and giving her access to your garage.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Minerva » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:22 am

I took all the valuable possessions that I wanted (guns, tools, momentos, pictures, documents, computers, etc). I didn't try to keep anything that wasn't important to me. I then let her have whatever she wanted that was left. TVs, beds, furniture, dishes, etc.

I have given 0 minutes of my time thinking about crap she took that I may have liked to have kept. And in a conflict divorce it was pretty awesome to handle this without any BS. Highly recommend it.
Minerva
100+ Posts

Unread postby SoxFan1986 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Havalu7 wrote:OP be sure to have the DAR running if you are there without the LEO.

Good point, no need to get a false DV this close to the finish line. Not to state the oblivious but women are very emotional, my ex tried to push my buttons when we got close to the finish line.
SoxFan1986
100+ Posts

Previous

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On