Can an ex move back in?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Can an ex move back in?

Unread postby PurposePrideProgress » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Question for a friend.

If the exwife moved out of the marital home over a year ago but still owns half the house until it sells, can she just move back in at will? Divorce is final a month ago and per the decree the house is to be sold, its currently listed for sale.
PurposePrideProgress
New

Re: Can an ex move back in?

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:21 pm

hed11877 wrote:Question for a friend.

If the exwife moved out of the marital home over a year ago but still owns half the house until it sells, can she just move back in at will? Divorce is final a month ago and per the decree the house is to be sold, its currently listed for sale.
Why should he allow that?? At the very least, hasn't he changed the locks??

Q: What's the status of his case?? Does he have a temporary order?? Does he have Exclusive Use and Occupancy??

Get your friend on the forum. I know you mean well. But generalized questions never get proper answers thru a 3rd party.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:03 pm

It depends who has use and occupancy of the house. Your friend should already know that.

Does he have an internet connection? He should be the one asking these questions, not you.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby LovingDadof2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:41 am

OP, are you the exwife?
LovingDadof2
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:38 pm

My nose is itching too.
"No." is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:40 pm

My money is on cupcake
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Phoenix853 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:18 pm

afc wrote:My money is on cupcake

+1
Someone Say cupcake, I love cupcakes...
Phoenix
Phoenix853
1K+ Posts

Unread postby FlyGuySLO » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:53 pm

Assuming this is a legitimate post, I will offer this:

If the divorce was final prior to selling the house, this was a stupid move. In addition, there should have been language in the judgement regarding use of the home until the sale.

With that said, what is the ex's reason for moving back into a house that could be sold at any moment?
FlyGuySLO
100+ Posts

Unread postby PurposePrideProgress » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 am

Sorry all, just got back on my laptop this morning, yes this is a legit post, my friend isn't tech savvy, still has a flip phone.

Anyway, his ex wife didn't want the divorce and still "loves him" apparently. They are waiting for the equity from the sale to buy new houses. Her lease is up and strait up said, I'm gonna move back in until the house sells, she claims she can. IDK, I told him I would ask, the PSA just says the house would be put up for sale and any profit split. He has occupancy of the house and has had it for over a year. I told him to ask his expensive lawyer, looks like its a tricky situation.
PurposePrideProgress
New

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:59 am

hed11877 wrote:He has occupancy of the house.....
Unless written in the order, EXCLUSIVE USE, "occupancy" of the house means little or nothing.

Tell your friend to get a No Trespassing Order.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On