Vacations with Kids in Violation of Agreement

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Vacations with Kids in Violation of Agreement

Unread postby Me_and_my_boys » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:28 pm

I've posted about this before but was never really able to arrive at a conclusion.

The ex has scheduled another week-long trip with the kids that results in them missing four days of school as well as 2-3 days with me. Our agreement states each parent has one uninterrupted week with the kids during the summer. This trip, in October, is not in accordance with the agreement. I don’t feel the kids should miss school, nor do I think the ex should violate the agreement whenever she wants to book a trip to see family.

From a practical standpoint, I believe this issue is non-enforceable. Does that mean I should simply let it be year after year, request make-up days and move on?
Me_and_my_boys
100+ Posts

Re: Vacations with Kids in Violation of Agreement

Unread postby Outis » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Why October? Big birthdays somewhere? Baseball playoffs? Big NFL match up?
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:29 pm

Your kids aren't even on junior high yet so missing 4 days isn't a big deal, at least in my opinion.

Your days, that's another case. Maybe get the days ahead of time?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:57 pm

do you know that the trip is for? Is it something that they will enjoy? If so, get your make up time before the leave.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Not making a value judgment on this particular case, but there are untold numbers of legitimate reasons to take a vacation while school is in session. There are worthwhile things to do and witness outside the months of June and July.

Just sayin
Fatheroffour

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 pm

agreed, no judging, but there might come a time where you might want to do the same. I say grab some extra time now during the summer (for me work slows down, so it is the perfect time, and being in MA, it is nice to be outside.

I get it, you want your peace, but I suggest just getting the days back ahead of time. If you were able to make up the days prior to the trip, do you still have an issue with it?
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Me_and_my_boys » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:47 am

I should have mentioned that this vacation is in addition to the agreed upon week she will have with them this month. But based on your responses, I think you figured that out. They're going to visit their cousins in FL, and the kids always enjoy the trip. I get that. I don't see why they can't go in August, but I'll just get my days up front and move on.

I find myself wondering if an instance like this -- a breach of the agreement -- would have any relevance if she chose to file a custody modification at some point down the road. I'm inclined to say no because it doesn't reflect any change in circumstance for the kids. I guess my paranoia is showing....

Thanks!
Me_and_my_boys
100+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 am

Because August in FL is like Satan's armpit.

It is so much better in October.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby WCD7399 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:07 pm

You got side tracked on the fact that its "Vacation" and during school.
During school means little....
but here is the break down -
My wife wants ot have the kids on 2-3 days of my time (Not sure why its 2-3. Which is it?).

That is the question. She already took her vacation time that is outlined in your decree - so this is additional time she watns with the kids that interfere with your time.
Simple enough -Ask her what time she is giving up? You said your kids do enjoy it - so this is nothing more then a simple trade.
WCD7399
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 am

Only August? Kidding just personal preference.

If you are flexible with this instance here is a opportunity for her to return the favor in the future (honey versus fire analogy).

If she doesn't reciprocate (didn't go back and read your historical threads) then at least you tried the amicable route.

Sometimes the high road is lonely, but there is less traffic. 8 )
"No." is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On