Ideas for places to hangout

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Ideas for places to hangout

Unread postby BoredInBoston » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:23 pm

I live about 90 mins away from my daughter. I have her every other weekend and she stays with me, but I also have her every Thursday after noon after school. On these days my boss lets me work on my laptop from Panera until she gets out of school until I take her back to her moms.

For the past couple years we've found lots of things to do such as movies, bowling, billiards, arcade, walking around mall, museums, library. We're getting to the point where we're tired of "doing" something and eating out. I'd like to find a place where we would have a kitchen and living room (couch, tv, video games) where it would be more like home. But I can't afford a second apartment. Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by BoredInBoston on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoredInBoston
New

Re: Ideas for places to hangout

Unread postby Outis » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Just curious, what about relocating? Seems that living closer might open the door to a more equal parenting plan.

BTW, if that's your name, or one used on other forums, you want to change it in your user control panel.
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby StruggelinginIN » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Is there a class you can attend with your daughter on Thu evenings, like a cooking, painting, swimming, or driving class?
StruggelinginIN
100+ Posts

Unread postby BoredInBoston » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:56 am

Outis wrote:Just curious, what about relocating? Seems that living closer might open the door to a more equal parenting plan.

There are a number of circumstances why I can't relocate but mainly due to my job.
BoredInBoston
New

Unread postby BoredInBoston » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:59 am

StruggelinginIN wrote:Is there a class you can attend with your daughter on Thu evenings, like a cooking, painting, swimming, or driving class?

We've done various classes such as guitar lessons and painting. And we can keep doing these things. But we're looking for ideas that would be like a second home, but not a full apartment and not at the cost. Like a temporary living room/kitchen. I've looked for people renting just a room and in the area they are way overpriced.
BoredInBoston
New

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 am

Airbnb?
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:51 am

BoredInBoston wrote:There are a number of circumstances why I can't relocate but mainly due to my job.

What job - specifically - restricts where an American citizen may choose to live? Does your job have a specific requirement that puts a hard restriction on distance you're allowed to live from your workplace? Unless you live in a barracks, it sounds like < bovine scat > to me. Children > Job.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby BoredInBoston » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:Airbnb?

That's a good idea. Thanks, I'll check that out.
BoredInBoston
New

Unread postby BoredInBoston » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Trevor wrote:
BoredInBoston wrote:There are a number of circumstances why I can't relocate but mainly due to my job.

What job - specifically - restricts where an American citizen may choose to live? Does your job have a specific requirement that puts a hard restriction on distance you're allowed to live from your workplace? Unless you live in a barracks, it sounds like < bovine scat > to me. Children > Job.

I would love more positive suggestions instead of being critical of my situation. I 100% agree kids > job, and my daughter comes first. But moving and job change is not an option. The company I work for, I've worked for my specific boss for two past companies (over 12 years now). He loves how good I am at my job, he compensates me extremely well (despite my circumstances) and I get extra benefits that are hard to find at other companies. One of the main benefits is being able to work remotely and flex time on days I have my daughter. This is a HUGE benefit. The situation I have with home location is the best situation for me and my daughter and as an added benefit puts distance between myself and my ex.

That said, our Thursday activities work, we don't mind continuing them and will find lots of "stuff" to do. We were hoping for some suggestions such as FatherOfFour's suggestion of AirBNB, but maybe a more permanent solution.
BoredInBoston
New

Unread postby a dad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 pm

I don't mean to point out the obvious but the more permanent solution is moving. It seems like you want all the benefits of moving, without the negatives.

Have you looked for a job near kiddo? Maybe one that pays more and has more flexibility.
a dad

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On