Making my last alimony payment this week

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Making my last alimony payment this week

Unread postby TOC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:19 pm

What an amazing feeling.

Four years ago I contemplated whether or not I would have the financial ability to break away from my ex. She was a miserable, depressing, controlling, manipulative person who blamed anything and everything on me (and everyone else for that matter). It made me a miserable person and while I thought the financial burden of divorce/alimony would be an impossibility, here I am happier than I've ever been, debt free, having an amazing relationship with my son, and in a relationship with one of the nicest women I've ever met who is so accepting/supportive of my involvement in my son's life.

Worth.Every.Penny.

If anyone on here thinks the financial burden is prohibitive of being happy, they are wrong. I'm a better father and a better person then I was pre-divorce.

I'm curious from the elders here if I should expect any sort of resurfacing now that the gravy train is coming to an end. Keep in mind my ex is 36 and fully capable of working full time but chooses to work part time (no, not because she wants to spend more time with our son, it's so she can have more time to herself while my son sits in daycare).
TOC
100+ Posts

Re: Making my last alimony payment this week

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Time to celebrate, Bro. Surf 'n turf dinner.

Double check your decree; terms and conditions for alimony termination. Termination date certain?? Non-modification clause?? .....or words to that effect.....

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby TOC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:Time to celebrate, Bro. Surf 'n turf dinner.

Double check your decree; terms and conditions for alimony termination. Termination date certain?? Non-modification clause?? .....or words to that effect.....

Tom

Some Lobster Thermidor is in order this Friday.

As for the decree it states:

"Provided husband has maintained the life insurance for the benefit of the wife as required by This Agreement, any and all spousal support payable by Husband to Wife under this Agreement shall irrevocably terminate upon the first to occur of the following circumstances: death of wife, remarriage of wife, death of husband, the expiration of four (4) years following execution of this agreement."

The only thing that worries me is the life insurance part...neither one of us ever purchased the life insurance. Mine stated that I needed to purchase life insurance in the amount of the total alimony, adjusted annually to reflect the remaining obligation. I honestly never even knew that was in there until recently....I'm thinking/hoping this isn't all that important since the life insurance was just supposed to coincide with the amount left in alimony. I would hope that would be a moot point now anyway.
TOC
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Congratulations TOC!!!
”No is a complete sentence” Unknown
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:31 pm

The only thing that worries me is the life insurance part...neither one of us ever purchased the life insurance. Mine stated that I needed to purchase life insurance in the amount of the total alimony, adjusted annually to reflect the remaining obligation. I honestly never even knew that was in there until recently....I'm thinking/hoping this isn't all that important since the life insurance was just supposed to coincide with the amount left in alimony. I would hope that would be a moot point now anyway.

Yes, it should be a moot point, you've paid your dues -- good for you!

The life insurance clause would have mattered only if she had gotten married before the expiration of the four years and you did not have life insurance with her as beneficiary (which you didn't) - in that case you would have had to continue paying her the full four years even though she had re-married

I still have 1.5 years left on my clock, but 1.5 sure looks much closer than 4.5 right after the divorce was final ...

Just curious, what state and length of marriage?
Last edited by lionel2013 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:33 pm

any and all spousal support payable by Husband to Wife under this Agreement shall irrevocably terminate upon the first to occur

Irrevocably = no resurfacing of your X, you are done.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:32 pm

TOC wrote:"Provided husband has maintained the life insurance for the benefit of the wife as required by This Agreement.....
Alimony is an insurable interest to NJ. Since alimony has terminated, NJ has no insurable interest and thus, no cause for redress.

BTW - Oregon statute makes similar provision for child support.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby hopeful dad » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:30 pm

I think my ex was too shy to receive an alimony of 40$. She informed us to terminate immediatly due to remarriage!
Moving forward with distress behind!
hopeful dad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby DoctorZ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 pm

That's great news for you dude.
This will never happen to me. The appellate court affirmed the trail court order for permanent alimony..
Why the US Family Law System Sucks: https://youtu.be/M3YA6u4ttN0
DoctorZ
500+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 am

DoctorZ wrote:That's great news for you dude.
This will never happen to me. The appellate court affirmed the trail court order for permanent alimony..

Oh nooooo .... sorry to hear that, Dr. Z.

Just curious, what was the length of your marriage?
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On