How do Fridays work on a 2-2-5-5 plan?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

How do Fridays work on a 2-2-5-5 plan?

Unread postby ForumVenter 1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Editing this in order to shorten. For pro-active planning...

Drawing up a 2-2-5-5 parenting plan. I have M at 5pm until W at 5pm, Ex has 5pm W through 5pm F and we rotate every other weekend.

When school is in session, everything is good. However, when school is out of session (school closure day or summer break), I feel like I would get screwed on Fridays. Problem is that if it were my weekend with D, I would want to get an early start on Friday if school is out so we could leave early for camping trips or use the whole day for something (swimming, park, etc.).

Any thoughts on how I can work that into the plan?

I'd change the times to 9am M through 9am W, and Ex would have 9am W through 9am Friday. But I don't want to mess with waking D up early during summer break to take her to Ex's house and vice versa. And Ex is a stay at home mom, so I'm sure the manipulation aspect would eventually come into play "Well if you just stayed at mommy's on days off and summer break, you could sleep in" and so on.
OH - Residential parent of D after a long distance move by Ex. If your child(ren) aren't a priority, you will have no chance at gaining custody.
ForumVenter 1
500+ Posts

Re: How do Fridays work on a 2-2-5-5 plan?

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:20 pm

ForumVenter wrote: I have M at 5pm until W at 5pm, Ex has 5pm W through 5pm F
^^^ Instead of this all year, why not do this for the summer:
I have Sun at 5pm until Tues at 5pm, Ex has 5pm Tues through 5pm Thurs
^^ There's your 3-day weekend, Bro.

Is D old enough for 7/7??

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby changeofplans » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:24 pm

If you are already unwilling to bring your dd to your ex's house early over the summer, I wouldn't expect her to accommodate your earlier Fridays either. You can't have it both ways.

However, there are several options: Take your 3-day weekend Saturday through Monday instead of Friday to Sunday, ask your ex to trade a Friday for an earlier exchange on Wednesday, change the exchange time across the board (10 am wouldn't be early for a kid that age generally?), or take Wednesday/Thursdays instead of Mondays/Tuesdays.
changeofplans
100+ Posts

Unread postby Timeflies » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:
ForumVenter wrote: I have M at 5pm until W at 5pm, Ex has 5pm W through 5pm F
^^^ Instead of this all year, why not do this for the summer:
I have Sun at 5pm until Tues at 5pm, Ex has 5pm Tues through 5pm Thurs
^^ There's your 3-day weekend, Bro.

Is D old enough for 7/7??

Tom

Agreed. I would add why not do 2-2-3. Very common in Florida and easier for young ones.
Timeflies
50+ Posts

Unread postby ForumVenter 1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 am

D will be 7 and in 2nd grade next year.

Doing the 2-2-5-5 because it is mentioned in our court order, should any parent relocate to the same school district. It was something I added in my settlement offering in case I lost; I would have moved to MO and wanted some type of assurance in parenting time.

It's not that I am unwilling to bring D to Ex's house early in the summer. I am just thinking what D would be more comfortable with.
OH - Residential parent of D after a long distance move by Ex. If your child(ren) aren't a priority, you will have no chance at gaining custody.
ForumVenter 1
500+ Posts

Unread postby C3156 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 pm

My ex and I did the 2-2-5-5.

Basically I had Mon/Tue, she had Wed/Thur, and we alternated weekends Fri-Sun. During the school year it worked fine, since we were in the same school district, the kids would just switch buses to come home.

Summer and holidays were somewhat of a sticking point, but we made it work. We found a day-camp kids could go to in the summer during the week. Drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon, no issue. School holidays were a little more interesting, but we agreed that whoever's day it was had responsibility for arranging child care. We both work so it was a fair arrangement. Since your ex is a SAHM she may gripe about it, but as long as you have adequate child care, she really can't do anything about it since it is your time. If the kids were sick, I typically would just take a PTO day and take care of them.
C3156
10+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:59 pm

Give her Monday and Tuesday if you can though. A lot of holidays fall on Friday or Monday.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos
I ♥ Disco

Unread postby RedHawk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:16 pm

New to the forum (and divorce). Can someone explain to me what a 2-2-5-5 plan is?
RedHawk
First Post

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Two days with one parent. Two days with the other. Five days with the first parent. Five days with the second.

Whip out a paper calendar and two different-color markers (one for each parent) and color in the squares accordingly.

After that, let us know if there's any confusion.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby ForumVenter 1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:19 am

The order states that I would get MT and Ex would get WTh. I've asked Ex if she prefers MT or WTh. She didn't really answer. She said she's been talking to people and wants to do a modification and have things built around her being a stay at home mom and also having extra time to take D and her other 2 kids to MO to visit the family she's leaving behind. Also, I am 100% positive she will be seeking CS at that point too.

Kicking myself for putting that clause in my settlement offering. But wanted to cover myself in case I lost.

Trevor - Doing that is what brought up my confusion on how Fridays would work. School waiver days and summer Fridays, I typically take off work to do something with D. But now, I would be getting D at 5pm instead of having the whole day to spend.

And yes, most Holidays and school days off are on Mondays and Fridays. I'd get screwed on both ends. My Friday holidays would't start until 5pm. And my Mondays Holidays wouldn't start until 5pm if it were Ex's weekend.
ForumVenter 1
500+ Posts

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On