EX Birthday on my weekend (finalized 3 months ago)

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: EX Birthday on my weekend (finalized 3 months ago)

Unread postby a dad » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:08 pm

I find it silly to exchange the kids because of the parents birthdays.

With that said, and seeing that you have equal parenting time, OP, your instinct to be flexible may feel tough so soon after going through divorce but it is most likely best.

If you had EOW, I'd say try to swap a day. With equal time or more, let it go.
a dad

Unread postby ScaredNConfused » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:12 pm

hoot74 wrote:Say, "Hey, that's a great idea. How about we agree to something like this?"

"Each parent shall be entitled to have the children on their respective birthday for dinner from 5:00 P.M. until one-half (1/2) hour prior to the children’s bedtime if it is not their day with the children so they can enjoy dinner with the children."

What is she going to say, "F-you, I only want this for me, not you."

Who defines bedtime? I'll never agree to something so open to interpretation.
ScaredNConfused
100+ Posts

Unread postby iamthedad » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:48 pm

a dad wrote:I find it silly to exchange the kids because of the parents birthdays.

With that said, and seeing that you have equal parenting time, OP, your instinct to be flexible may feel tough so soon after going through divorce but it is most likely best.

If you had EOW, I'd say try to swap a day. With equal time or more, let it go.

+1 (It pains me to agree)

Just let it go. Things are what they are. You will have bigger hills to die on later.
iamthedad
100+ Posts

Unread postby hoot74 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:57 am

ScaredNConfused wrote:Who defines bedtime? I'll never agree to something so open to interpretation.

It hasn't been a problem, but then again, I don't care either way about this stuff. I didn't come up with the provision.
hoot74
1K+ Posts

Unread postby TOC » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:05 am

Just allow it and mention (as others have stated) that it sounds like a great idea to do that for each your own birthdays. If she agrees and then backs out when it's your birthday, it just paints her as the uncooperative parent.
TOC
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:27 am

Come up with a solution for this and birthdays moving forward, do it with BIFF email and be done. This might happen more than one year :lol:
massdad1234
500+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14 am

mystery99114 wrote:.....this woman doesn’t even ask me a question in the note.
Entitled women never ask for anything. They just expect it. LOL

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby TeflonDad » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Go for the gold. Offer to agree to the child spending an overnight on each parent's birthday. The kid spends the whole day and spends the night with the parent.

ABSOLUTELY RECIPROCAL.

For the kid's birthday, you can also propose Odd-numbered years, (i.e. THIS year) mom gets the kid's birthday as an OVERNIGHT, and dad gets the OVERNIGHT the day BEFORE the kid's birthday. In EVEN-numbered years, it's switched, and dad gets the birthday overnight and mom gets the overnight before the birthday.

That way the kid gets an overnight birthday with BOTH parents EVERY year.

Trust me, the kids don't care if you celebrate a birthday "a day early". They get the whole schedule thing. It's not drama. Don't make it one.

As a dad, you're probably on the short end of the overnight stick, so whenever you offer up any calendar adjustment - ALWAYS make it an OVERNIGHT. Every holiday or special day that you turn into a "each gets an overnight" is really a 50/50 split of the kid's time - and thus, in your favor if you have the EOW screwjob.

If you're going to switch and transport the kid back and forth, don't do all that work for some 2-3 hour bull hockey non-quality time. Make everything an overnight that you can. Always make it apply equally to both of you.

I piled on the holidays - every one I could on my schedule - as equal split overnights. I get about 10 extra overnights that I wouldn't have if I didn't.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts. Help divorced men be great dads!
Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum. More tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
TeflonDad
Moderator Emeritus

Previous

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On