wanna laugh?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

wanna laugh?

Unread postby rclv83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 pm

I have an MSA with NJ from last year.

For some reason, NJ paid her attorney to re-write it to "better reflect the wishes of the parties." I kid you not. Out of nowhere.

So this poor attorney completely revises all the agreed terms to her liking. I started giggling.
Then I spit my Coke across the keyboard when I got to this part:

"If, at any time, RCLV83 does not make d7 available for the evening phone call with SuperMom between 730-8pm, RCLV83 will immediately report within 90 minutes to the Sheriff's department at XYZ Address and will voluntarily begin a 6 month sentence and pay a fine of $500."

THere are so many parts to this simple sentence that make my head want to explode.

I will just leave you with that to understand that no matter how crazy your NJ is, there are crazier ones out there.

Your Friday funny....
rclv83
50+ Posts

Re: wanna laugh?

Unread postby JimRockford » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:29 pm

In our case, my attorney was to write the MSA, after which it was passed to OC. OC, actually, I think it was really my ex re-wrote the whole thing, reversed the whole stipulation that was signed and read into the record, essentially giving her everything, sole custody and support for life, she also threw in all sorts of things that would land me in jail or perpetual limbo. She refused to negotiate on any of her new terms.

We then threatened to take her to court on an exParte motion to have the final judgment entered and were also going to request sanctions. It was at that point she relented, but would still not allow any of the language outside of what was read into the record. So my MSA only consists of only of the transcribed language that was handwritten on the morning of the settlement.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:40 pm

JimRockford wrote:.....reversed the whole stipulation that was signed and read into the record....
Well played by OC. At which time JimRockford's attorney should've objected and made an oral motion to strike from the record.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:Well played by OC. At which time JimRockford's attorney should've objected and made an oral motion to strike from the record.

Tom

I don't get what you are saying. Everything she did occurred after the settlement date and she tried to change it after the date it was read into the record, we did not allow her changes. What is on the record is fine and that word for word is now in the MSA. What never made it into the MSA that is in most people's is language that provides more clarity to the stipulation as well as certain boiler plate items regarding future changes in law etc.

She got nothing out of this approach other than a couple months of free health care, as all it did was delay the recording of the final judgement by about 2 months
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby rclv83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:
JimRockford wrote:.....reversed the whole stipulation that was signed and read into the record....
Well played by OC. At which time JimRockford's attorney should've objected and made an oral motion to strike from the record.

Tom

I don't understand either.
And neither of you are laughing at my stupid story. :x
rclv83
50+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:05 pm

rclv83 wrote:"If, at any time, RCLV83 does not make d7 available for the evening phone call with SuperMom between 730-8pm, RCLV83 will immediately report within 90 minutes to the Sheriff's department at XYZ Address and will voluntarily begin a 6 month sentence and pay a fine of $500."

Ive dealt with enough attorneys to know that I would never be able to find one that would write that into a court order. They wouldn't dare, the embarrassment they would receive from other attorneys and the judge would be a career killer.

What kind of attorney would even write that? I mean seriously.
I type butter on mah phon
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:09 pm

rclv83 wrote:I don't understand either.
And neither of you are laughing at my stupid story. :x

You are correct, and I apologize for what inadvertently turned into a thread hijack. While it is funny that she would write something so stupid, it is also a tragic waste of time and resources and shows utter disregard for the law. Your ex is the one that actually got played here as she is the one who actually paid for this nonsense.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:20 pm

JimRockford wrote:....my ex re-wrote the whole thing, reversed the whole stipulation that was signed and read into the record.....
My misunderstanding. This is what I get for not reading carefully.

This was N's blatant attempt to undo that which was already settled.

As far as NJ's concerned, now I see what you're up against.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby rclv83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:43 pm

lovingfatherof2 wrote:
rclv83 wrote:"If, at any time, RCLV83 does not make d7 available for the evening phone call with SuperMom between 730-8pm, RCLV83 will immediately report within 90 minutes to the Sheriff's department at XYZ Address and will voluntarily begin a 6 month sentence and pay a fine of $500."

Ive dealt with enough attorneys to know that I would never be able to find one that would write that into a court order. They wouldn't dare, the embarrassment they would receive from other attorneys and the judge would be a career killer.

What kind of attorney would even write that? I mean seriously.

I said this exact thing. My attorney would unceremoniously toss me out of his office if I had ever suggested he type up such a thing. What's even stranger is that her guy is very well known in our area and has oodles of clients. Why he would take the time to type something up that not only makes no sense, but makes him appear completely unprofessional is beyond me.
rclv83
50+ Posts

Unread postby rclv83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:45 pm

JimRockford wrote:[quote="rclv83

You are correct, and I apologize for what inadvertently turned into a thread hijack. While it is funny that she would write something so stupid, it is also a tragic waste of time and resources and shows utter disregard for the law. Your ex is the one that actually got played here as she is the one who actually paid for this nonsense.

Dude took a 3 page MSA and turned it into 27 pages of "summary".
What do you think? $2000? $3000? It's truly unbelievable. (her guy is $400/hour)
rclv83
50+ Posts

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On