College and current order

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

College and current order

Unread postby pixelstick » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:09 pm

My wife's ex-husband has decided to go against the current decree that has been in place for years. It says that he should pay half of cars for their kids and half of college expenses. He decided he did not want to pay half of the cars after all (several years ago), so now they're back with lawyers. Now he's looking at potential contempt charges, paying for half of the cars and my wife's legal fees, as was also stated in the decree. We threw interest in there too because that comes along with the loan for the cars. He absolutely won't agree to anything and wants to take it all the way to court. One of her kids is in her first year of college and her attorney is telling her that if they go to court that there are certain judges that could "revise" her ex's responsibility for paying for college based on the Christopher ruling a few years ago (that no parent is legally obligated to pay for an adult's college education). But he also said that they are grandfathered in since they were divorced prior to that ruling. Anyone have any sense of this happening in Alabama, specifically in Shelby county?
pixelstick
10+ Posts

Re: College and current order

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:49 pm

pixelstick wrote:.....her attorney is telling her that if they go to court that there are certain judges that could "revise" her ex's responsibility for paying for college based on the Christopher ruling.....But he also said that they are grandfathered in since they were divorced prior to that ruling.
The college clause will be set aside. Lower court is bound by Supreme Court opinion. Ex husband has done his research. Well done.

Research Christopher. Start here:

http://www.ballotnews.org/courts/alabam ... aw-ruling/

pixelstick wrote:It says that he should pay half of cars for their kids.....along with the loans for the cars.
Make, model and year of cars?? Who decides what to buy??

How much do these cars cost??.....plus loans??.....plus origination fees??.....plus interest??.....plus full coverage insurance??.....plus extended warranty coverage?? Where does this end?? Sounds like a blank check to me.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:00 pm

You are at a forum that fights for fathers and kids to spend as much time as possible together, not how to show your wife how to extract as much money as she can from her ex. All I am interested in is how hard she promoted the kids to be with their dad 50/50.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby pixelstick » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:59 pm

So it sounds like he is pushing things to go to court so he will have a good chance of not having to pay future college expenses. Does that sound correct?

Obviously I left out some details because they weren't relevant to my actual question. I appreciate the responses. This is the most active forum I know of and there seem to be some knowledgeable people here. That is the reason I posed here. I just wish we could all dispense with the drama and assumptions when you know nothing about the poster's life. This applies to all forums these days unfortunately.
pixelstick
10+ Posts

Unread postby hoosier_dad » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:13 pm

pixelstick wrote:I just wish we could all dispense with the drama and assumptions when you know nothing about the poster's life. This applies to all forums these days unfortunately.

This forum has seen Moms too often take that 50/50 cost sharing as a blank check and unilaterally make a purchase without Dad's input. Your first post discussing loans on the vehicles and past due interest on Dad's share can easily point us to that assumption in your case as well.

Even if that assumption is incorrect, attempting to hold divorced parents to an agreement to pay for 1/2 of vehicles and college expenses that will occur years in the future is ridiculous IMO. There's no way to anticipate those future cost increases or your personal financial circumstances years in the future.
hoosier_dad

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:39 pm

pixelstick wrote:So it sounds like he is pushing things to go to court so he will have a good chance of not having to pay future college expenses. Does that sound correct?
Q: Who's doing the pushing??

Your wife's ex doesn't hafta go to court for anything. All he hasta do is refuse to abide by terms of the decree. Instead, if your wife intends to enforce those terms, the onus is upon her to take her ex to court.

Make, model and year of cars?? Who decides what to buy?? How much do these cars cost??
^^^ Answer the question, Bro. Tell us what your wife expects her ex to pay for.

BTW - I think you should read daddy scholarship.

As you read, answer this question: "If your wife's ex pays for the above as ordered, what will he get in return??"

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30979

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby gamingdad » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:47 pm

The other alternative would be to get the ex-husband here. As you are a third party in the situation, your input is meaningless. Maybe point the wife to freeadvice.com
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Unread postby Jesus Christ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:19 am

[quote="pixelstick One of her kids is in her first year of college[/quote]

Entitlement apple didn't fall too far from this tree.
People get the justice they can afford.
Jesus Christ
100+ Posts

Unread postby pixelstick » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:48 am

Well I can tell all of you that neither of us thinks this is fun or amusing and we would both rather live a peaceful life. All of this is what her ex agreed to and signed for in the divorce decree and then decided that he didn't want to abide by it. The interest on the cars would have been a nonissue had her ex done what he was supposed to do per the papers, so yes she (and I) feel that he should pay that. And yes, she and I are married so while ultimately it is her decision we do collaborate and talk about things. That's how a marriage is supposed to work. And I think it's worth pointing out that I am also divorced and have an ex that is not too fun to deal with, so I am sensitive to anyone just trying to get more money out of another person or using any of the other tactics that ex's use to make the other person's life miserable.

I appreciate the responses and feel like overall this is a good forum, but let's all just stick to helping the poster. Sarcastic comments and innuendos can be rephrased as valid questions. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

As an aside, they had a challenge question on a radio show this morning: 51% of people would rather do this than be intimate with their partner. What is it? The answer: play on their mobile device. Says a lot about the direction our society is going.
pixelstick
10+ Posts

Unread postby hoosier_dad » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:11 am

pixelstick wrote:I appreciate the responses and feel like overall this is a good forum, but let's all just stick to helping the poster. Sarcastic comments and innuendos can be rephrased as valid questions.

Easy to clear that up with a simple question:

How much was your wife's ex involved in the vehicle purchases? Discussion on amounts, models, his agreement on the purchases etc?
hoosier_dad

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On