HSA Confusion

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

HSA Confusion

Unread postby RonSwanson » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:47 am

Hey guys,

I think I may be in a bit of pickle here. I have a judge-signed MSA from Feb. of 2016. It includes the standard CA form FL-192 which says the ex and I are to split any health costs for the children that aren't covered by insurance.

I pay their insurance, and both the ex and I were under the assumption that I should be paying all of their health costs through my HSA because we thought the HSA ~was~ insurance.

We had a benefit meeting at work, and I realized that my HSA is just a pre-tax bank account and NOT insurance. I'm a little slow, I get it :)

Feeling like a dullard, I'm not sure what to do at this point. If I point this out to her and she decides to take it to court, could the judge say that I've been paying all of this time, so there's no reason to change?

Should I ask her for half of the money I've paid for medical since the MSA has been signed by the judge? It would total around $3K.

The other option would be to tell her that we have to split costs from this point on.

Thoughts?

TIA
RonSwanson
10+ Posts

Re: HSA Confusion

Unread postby astrolink » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:02 am

"The other option would be to tell her that we have to split costs from this point on."

Bingo
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:00 am

+1
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos
I ♥ Disco

Unread postby hoosier_dad » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:18 pm

RonSwanson wrote:We had a benefit meeting at work, and I realized that my HSA is just a pre-tax bank account and NOT insurance.

The HSA is usually a part of a high deductible health plan with the employer depositing funds at the start of each year. Do you get a deposit into your HSA at the start of each year?
hoosier_dad

Unread postby RonSwanson » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:51 pm

We get money put in at the beginning of each quarter.
RonSwanson
10+ Posts

Unread postby hoosier_dad » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:26 pm

IMO it's hard to argue that 100% of the medical expenses are uninsured when you get funds deposited in your HSA for that purpose. But, the big question is how much of the funds deposited in your HSA are for a single employee and how much additional is for your children?

That additional deposit amount over what a single employee would receive would be the max that I'd consider an insured medical expense amount.
hoosier_dad

Unread postby RonSwanson » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:43 pm

The difference is $650 a quarter, but that amount doesn't cover their medical costs. It's not even close.
RonSwanson
10+ Posts

Unread postby RonSwanson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:10 am

hoosier_dad wrote:IMO it's hard to argue that 100% of the medical expenses are uninsured when you get funds deposited in your HSA for that purpose. But, the big question is how much of the funds deposited in your HSA are for a single employee and how much additional is for your children?

That additional deposit amount over what a single employee would receive would be the max that I'd consider an insured medical expense amount.

Sorry, hoosier, I'm confused. Are you saying to tell the ex to pay half of the portion that is paid for the kids, or half of the medical bills for the kids? I'm thinking that the MSA stipulates that half of any medical bill is paid by her, but are you saying for the sake of peace to just ask for half of the extra I pay for coverage each month? So it would be $325 in this case.

Thanks!
RonSwanson
10+ Posts

Unread postby hoosier_dad » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:32 am

RonSwanson wrote:are you saying for the sake of peace to just ask for half of the extra I pay for coverage each month? So it would be $325 in this case.

I thought the $650 was a deposit into your HSA account by your employer. Your wording makes it sound like that's a deposit by you or a monthly deductible for the overall HDHP.
hoosier_dad

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:38 am

HSA and insurance are even not spelled the same.

I would chalk up the previously paid money as lesson learned and follow the decree going forward.
Fatheroffour

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On