Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby benjyedwards » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 am

MonkeySee wrote:No matter what the issue is these men are all in the same kind of pain and looking to lash out to try to recover some portion of the life they have lost.

The men of this board help to refocus that energy being spent on the pain and anger towards the ex onto the love of the children and the life you want to build for them.

No one wants to suggest you roll over and let Mom do whatever she wants. If you came here and said Mom wants to move my kid 100 miles away they would give you step by step directions on how to fight that move.

But in a case like this where your child could have an invaluable experience? You are encouraged to make a good choice and allow her to go.

Great comment, Monkeysee. I have been in that place and can relate. Tens years post divorce, it still appears. Luckily, I haven't had issues concerning time with children and have gone way into debt paying for college, etc.

Thanks for the clarity.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:43 am

To answer your question from a legal perspective: "Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?"

From what you wrote, expect the court will order you to comply plus very possibly to pay for her attorney fees, in addition to your own.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby benjyedwards » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:04 am

astrolink wrote:To answer your question from a legal perspective: "Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?"

From what you wrote, expect the court will order you to comply plus very possibly to pay for her attorney fees, in addition to your own.

Thank you. Take care.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 am

I get that this is settled, but wanted to add this for those who might review your thread with similar issues.

I'm not sure the Court would compel the hand, so to speak. The Judge is not going to order you to sign a document under duress that has a perjury clause. I understand from the State Department website that the Court can issue an order giving the mother full authority for making application, and that is sufficient to issue a passport.

Are you planning to travel to SA to see your kid, too?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby benjyedwards » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:45 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Are you planning to travel to SA to see your kid, too?

The court issue I alluded to on page one has broken the bank. My main mission in life is to get on the other side of my finances. I expect to succeed in that challenge within 6 months. When that happens, we'll consider the trip. If cash wasn't a concern, probably.

Thanks Bart.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts

Unread postby ttomred » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Yes, unless there is a valid reason why your daughter should not go to South America, the Judge will force you to sign it. And, if the Court finds your opposition to signing the passport documents to be unreasonable you will be ordered to pay mom's attorney fees. Think of your kid. A trip to South America would likely be a wonderful experience. Sign the paperwork. Move on. Just think, one day you may actually want to take your kid out of the country...
ttomred
10+ Posts

Unread postby benjyedwards » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:58 pm

ttomred wrote:Yes, unless there is a valid reason why your daughter should not go to South America, the Judge will force you to sign it.

Thank you.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts

Previous

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On