Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby benjyedwards » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:39 am

ForumVenter wrote:
benjyedwards wrote:
Now I'll let you get back to cutting letters out of a magazine so you can complete your letter to Ex.

Ell oh ell! Well said. (Hasn't gotten to that yet.)

I'm getting the feeling from these boards that the common recommendations in most situations are to sit back and take it, in general.

Thanks for the advice above. Will probably give in again just to make my D14 happy.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:58 am

I'm getting the feeling from these boards that the common recommendations in most situations are to sit back and take it, in general.

In general, the forum recommends what it believes to be the healthiest and most pragmatic solutions. Sometimes that takes on the appearance of "eat it".
Fatheroffour

Unread postby grandetaco » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:11 am

You should have her agree that she will not take child to non Hague Convention Countries.

If you don't agree to sign the passport form (you have to be there in person) she could bring a motion and then the judge could issue an order for the state department to issue one with just mother's sig.

Instead of refusing to sign passport form, you could make safety an issue.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Unread postby benjyedwards » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

Thanks. I'm just going to sign it.

Thanks for the feedback. Take care.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:24 pm

No, that is not the case, au contraire. But in this case ... you have no case, you have no reason to bar your X from taking your daughter to SA. So your choices are: agree to sign the passport application, or get used to the idea of wasting some money in court for a judge to order you to sign.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby benjyedwards » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:48 pm

lionel2013 wrote:
you have no case, you have no reason to bar your X from taking your daughter to SA. So your choices are: agree to sign the passport application, or get used to the idea of wasting some money in court for a judge to order you to sign.

Thanks. I've decided to sign it.

But is your comment based on the law or an opinion? Not trying to be a d*ck, just wandering.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:26 pm

benjyedwards wrote:I won't mention the country.....
I think you should mention the country. There's a big difference between Venezuela and, let's say, Chile.

Have you contacted the State Dept?? They have up-to-the-minute travel advisories.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:37 pm

You're weird.

Happy to screw your kid out of an opportunity to travel internationally, and when presented with your transparent hatred of your x eclipsing the love you have for your child, given reasonable alternatives that protect the child when traveling, you throw up your hands and indicate (in a seemingly passive-aggressive way) that you're just "going to sign it."

Have some fecking respect. We're trying to help your kid.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby benjyedwards » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Trevor wrote:You're weird.

Happy to screw your kid out of an opportunity to travel internationally, and when presented with your transparent hatred of your x eclipsing the love you have for your child, given reasonable alternatives that protect the child when traveling, you throw up your hands and indicate (in a seemingly passive-aggressive way) that you're just "going to sign it."

Have some fecking respect. We're trying to help your kid.

Trevor, thanks for your post, but you don't know me. The last thing I am is weird. And passive-aggressive.

I've asked the board for advice which I've received. I have taken the board's advice and it has encouraged me to sign the document and gladly allow her to go. I appreciate the input from everyone. And yes, my dislike, not hatred, towards my ex is the reason why I approached the board to begin with. And my kids have gotten tons of love from me and that has been frequently acknowledged by them.

Thank you to the board for helping me shift my thinking on this issue. I am grateful.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts

Unread postby MonkeySee » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:19 am

When a man comes here for the first time they are usually in the middle of an emotional crisis. Some can't see their children, some are completely broke, some have just found out their wives are having affairs.

No matter what the issue is these men are all in the same kind of pain and looking to lash out to try to recover some portion of the life they have lost.

The men of this board help to refocus that energy being spent on the pain and anger towards the ex onto the love of the children and the life you want to build for them.

No one wants to suggest you roll over and let Mom do whatever she wants. If you came here and said Mom wants to move my kid 100 miles away they would give you step by step directions on how to fight that move.

But in a case like this where your child could have an invaluable experience? You are encouraged to make a good choice and allow her to go.

Unfortunately children don't always understand how much we sacrifice for them and the other parent is sometimes the type of person who will take, take, and take some more and then turn around and say you still owe me. Sometimes the rewards for being a good parent are years and years away from being felt and it feels like you are always giving and rarely get. This is all extra true with parentung a teen. But, even with all of that being the case it's still always the best choice to put your child first.

You are making a good choice.

I would definitely suggest insisting on the insurance, though. Many countries won't let people come back to the US until the medical bills for emergenct treatment are paid in full.
Mom, stepmom, and grandma in OH.
MonkeySee
50+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On